UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
marcus brutus

Brutus

Brutus, a promising young man, but unfortunately so easily manipulated by the politically blind 'Boni'. To think, without the support of Brutus, the assassination may not have even been attemtped and Caesar may had just a bit more time to stabilize his fledgling form of government.

Brutus, a promising young man, but unfortunately so easily manipulated by the politically blind 'Boni'.  To think, without the support of Brutus, the assassination may not have even been attemtped and Caesar may had just a bit more time to stabilize his fledgling form of government.

yes he was naive.but a great fighter all the same

Being a good fighter doesn't stop me from wanting to choke him.

(I don't want to dwell on that. it makes me sad)

What is it about Brutus that you particularly admire?

the truth my friend is not preety.iwas reading a book called emperor gates of rome by ionn calging and brutus was in it i grew found of him and started reasearching him. and dont worry when i grow up i dont want to kill ceaser

the truth my friend is not preety.iwas reading a book called emperor gates of rome by ionn calging and brutus was in it i grew found of him and started reasearching him. and dont worry when i grow up i dont want to kill ceaser

I don't think there is anything wrong with killing a Caesar, but there is something wrong with not having a plan after the deed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with killing a Caesar, but there is something wrong with not having a plan after the deed.

I also dont have a problem with the killing of a Caesar... the original problem was killing the Caesar :ph34r:

iwas reading a book called emperor gates of rome by ionn calging

The Brutus character in Conn Igguldens novels is far from historicaly accurate.

From what I have read on the subject of Brutus, he wasn't all that much of a fighter. I don't seem to remember him playing a major part in any battle or winning any kind of fame as an athelete. In fact, I think I once read that he tended to lean more towards the academic end of the spectrum. Besides, would a true "great fighter" would probably have done it a little differently. Perhaps stabbing his victim in the front while looking him in the eyes? Ceasar being the person he was deserved at least that much, whether you agree with his policies and actions or not. Great men deserve that degree of dignity. (Not that I agree with his killing. Sometimes the world needs a Ceasar. Democracy is all good and well, but it doesn't always work as fast as it needs to, and survival is more important than rights and laws.)

mmm....I can't admire the guy, Brutus that is. From what I have read he was quite a tax farmer of the vicious kind....and he betrayed and killed Caesar, and he had no notion of what do do after that which smacks of a lack of a severe underestimation of the Roman mindset at the time. Silly to hate historical figures though, can't change anything they did, and can't really "know" whether those that we look up to were all we think they were.

mmm....I can't admire the guy, Brutus that is. From what I have read he was quite a tax farmer of the vicious kind....

Exactly. If this is what it meant to have Nobilitas, they can stick it where the sun don't shine!

Brutus was indeed a great warrior,but such a foolish politician,just the kind of man people like Cicero and Cato would easily use in their own purposes.He wasn't the only one to kill Caesar however.In my opinion it is Caesar who commited 'suicide'.He may have been a shrewd politician but he was nothing in politics compared to Augustus.

Brutus was indeed a great warrior,

14299[/snapback]

Please provide some evidence for this.

He was one of Caesar's favourite officers,and with Cassius(Longinus) he takes control of the eastern part of the empire during the civil war,including Greece.Also the triumviants Anthony and Octavian suffer defeat in a first phase of the battle of Philippi :blink:

He was one of Caesar's favourite officers,and with Cassius(Longinus) he takes control of the eastern part of the empire during the civil war,including Greece.Also the triumviants Anthony and Octavian suffer defeat in a first phase of the battle of Philippi

As far as I know, and I've read extensively of Caesar's life Brutus NEVER served under Caesar. Cassius took control of Syria and Brutus of Greece during the build up to Phillipi where they proceeded to rape the provinces of every valuable they could lay their hands on, typical so called Optimate behaviour in my opinion. The triumvirs did not suffer a defeat during 1st Phillipi, but rather a setback in that they were fought to a stalemate due to inclement weather during the uphill battle that turned into a mudfest. Some of Brutus' troops suceeded in entering Octavian's camp only to find it empty and proceeded to plunder rather than destroy the army they were sent to defeat. If one word could define Brutus' millitary abilities that word would be indescisive. He failed to send reinforcements, or instill the "mission" of the war in his men or the Caesarian army could have lost the war during 1st Phillipi when his troops took Octavian's camp. He needed constant reassurance from Cassius. He reacted, he didn't pro-act.