UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hurricane Katrina

Maximus

I would like to send my sympathies to any members or members families that have been hit by this truly disastrous weather. May you all receive help in the not to far future and may you all be safe at this sad time. Has anyone heard of any members being in distress?

Those poor people,i hope they can get it all sorted out soon.

The news here say New Orleans wont be able to be rebuilt :ph34r: theres too much damage.I hope they can rebuild it,that was one of the places i want to visit before my time comes.

L

I watched ABC's "World news tonight" and it doesnt look like the Government's doing a very good job in New Orleans,its a mass panic!

P.s why's it called "world" news? the only country mentioned was America :ph34r:

It seems to me that this disaster is so much larger than anyone anticipated that its truly overwhelming. What generally happens in such an emergency is that the local government begins to organize rescue and relief, which is followed up by the state authority and the federal departments come sweeping in after once things are somewhat established.

However, the local response was completely overwhelmed, and its leaders (the mayor) incompetent. (The evacuation call came way too late and he is feeding the crowds by demanding help but actually doing little else, including telling the police they are on their own, rather than taking charge and trying to organize at least to some degree.) I'm not sure what is happening at the state level but it also seems to be slow and poorly prepared as well. Because these local sources are almost non-existent, the length of time to organize federal relief seems to be even that much slower. (I am not excusing anyone, simply observing that it takes a while) However, the biggest compounding problem is the fact that nobody expected there to be 100,000+ people needing to be rescued. This many people gathered in one small place in a virtual destruction zone is a nightmare for everyone.

While part of me wonders why nobody among these crowds seems to stepping up and assuming a position of leadership (organizing body removal groups, supply gathering missions, etc.), I am finding it difficult to understand why a couple C-130's filled with supplies can't fly overhead to drop in MRE's, water and a few bare essentials as temporary relief. That is the part thats baffling to me. I am willing to excuse the length of time it takes to organize an effort of this magnitude, but I am shocked that we can't drop in some supplies.

Of course, maniacs toting guns and shooting at rescue workers certainly doesn't help (besides the fact that it is about the most absurd thing I may have ever heard of).

PS. My assessment of the mayors actions could be completely off base, as obviously I am not there... its just the impression I am getting.

I live in a small town in Western New South Wales in Australia, so i've never experienced anything along the hurricane lines in person. I send my deepest sympathies to those in that area of America who have suffered due to the hurricane, although i can never fully appreciate how much damage it must have done.

What bothers me is some of the people...not all of them mind you. This man was on the news, his kids were crying because they had not had any fresh water to drink in days and *he* was angry because he hadn't had a shower in four days and was "starting to get funky". HIS KIDS HAD NO WATER!! And all he cares about is that he can't get a shower.