UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Have You Read These Books?

Princeps

Just bought some books from ebay, could possibly do one for next months review, as I'm sure some of them are required reading for people here.

TACITUS ON BRITAIN AND GERMANY

JULIUS CAESAR - THE GALLIC WAR & OTHER WRITINGS

GIBBON'S DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

Caesar, Julius; The Battle for Gaul

JOHN HOGUE - Nostradamus & the Millennium

Not sure if they're the exact titles as I pasted them from my ebay summary. That last one is just a bit of fun. So, which should I read first?

p.s, I'm away for a week or so, so I won't be able to reply for a while.

I have not read the book on Nostradamus as I don't go for that sort of thing, Gibbon is a classic resource and the others are all versions of the direct ancient sources.

You'll find that

JULIUS CAESAR - THE GALLIC WAR & OTHER WRITINGS and Caesar, Julius; The Battle for Gaul

are probably the same book just dressed up a little differently. Regardless you've gathered yourself a nice starting collection of the ancient history :ph34r:

JULIUS CAESAR - THE GALLIC WAR & OTHER WRITINGS

Read it in translation a long time ago .... have been meaning to reread it in the original Latin although my Latin skills aren't up to the task.

GIBBON'S DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

Read the abridged version, as the original is rather wordy and in some places rather outdated. I enjoyed it greatly, but not sure if I agree fully with some of the author's assumptions.