Sign in to follow this  
marcus brutus

Nero

did nero burn rome  

16 members have voted

1. 1. did nero burn rome

• yes
    • no

the big mystery did nero burn rome, it is said he was playing the fiddle while rome was burning but he didnt know how, he wasnt even in rome at the time.it was started after his death by rivels. he is know to be somewhat mad though :ph34r:

The bulk of the story is anti-Neronian propoganda. However, its impossible to know for sure if he simply intended to clear a swath for his Domus Aurea and it got out of control, or if he just took advantage of a fire made clearing.

Yeah, i think making a giant palace for himself in the ashes of the city after the fire is evidence enough. He probably set the fire IMO, or had something to do with it, but its not like we'll ever know for sure.

Even if he DIDN'T start the fire and was simply taking advantage, what kind of horrible leader does something so selfish *in response to* one of the greatest disasters ever to face his people?????

I agree he should have rebuilt Rome as a better place for the lowere classes! But he was an emperor wot do u expect!!

I was told that Nero gave large amount of money for the relief effort after the fire.

Also he rebuilt the city so that the houses were not so close together and fire not so easy to spread. (prior to this Rome was an accident waiting to happen because the buildings were too close together.)