UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favourite Latin Quotes!

Tobias

G'day everyone

I was just looking at a website of latin quotes. Some of them are quite amusing, so i thought "maybe some of the members have their own amusing or interesting latin sayings, so i decided to start this topic and find out some quotable quotes from people. Please provide a translation, i'm not a master at latin (yet!)

I like mine by Horace, so that's a start.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the latin, and they're slightly paraphrased, but here are my top 3 -

3) "The die is cast" - Julius Caesar

I like the double meaning. Not only does it signify the gamble he is taking by confronting Pompey, but it also eludes to the fact that there is no going back, and he cannot know the outcome until the die lands.

2) "At last, now I can begin to live like a human being" - Nero, upon the completion of the Golden house

Ah the arrogance! No matter what you think of Nero, he had style.

1) "That it is within my power to rule over you for life is evident, but I am mild by nature, and have no wish to dominate" Augustus

A tactical masterstroke. They made him Princeps after that statement - he knew Rome was not ready for another civil war.

Bibat ille, bibat illa,

bibat servus et ancilla,

bibat hera, bibut herus:

ad bibendum nemo serus.

(Let him drink and her drink and the serf have one, the maid too, and the mistress and master - no one is too late for a jugfull)

Dum nos fata sinunt oculos satiemus amore.

(As long as the fates allow, let us fill out eyes with love).

Disputet philosophus vacuo cratere,

sciat, quia minus est scire quam habere;

(If the philosopher conducts his discourse with an empty cup, he will come to understand that knowing is less than owning)