UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Legatus Legionis

Help On School Essay

Hello Legatus and welcome to UNRV! :)

There were at least three notable periods of Latin influence. The first occurred before the ancestral Saxons left continental Europe for England. The second began when the Anglo-Saxons were converted to Christianity and Latin-speaking priests became widespread. However, the largest single transfer of Latin-based words occurred following the Norman invasion of 1066, after which an enormous number of Norman French words entered the language

via Wikipedia

regards

viggen

IMHO. I don't think so. Celtic culture had deeply roots regardless Romans. Besides them Beowulf was written more later of Roman epoch. Of course Romans effected on Europe and Britain but it is not necessary arrogates an absolute majority of the culture successes to Romans. Beowulf was written in Celtic style.

Beowulf

here too

Can someone tell me if the romans had much influence on british literature and more specificly Beowulf.

14532[/snapback]

I thought Beowulf was anglo-saxon.

But the Arthurian legends (which were oral legends for a while and then finally written down) concern semi-Romanized Celts fighting Saxon hordes. The history of those legends is fascinating and certainly one sees the shadow of Rome in them.

Beowulf isnt a British Tale its a scandinavian story.

I think he just wanted to know about Beowulf because it is a great poem and one of the earliest surviving manuscripts in english (yes old english, but still english).

HW