UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Did The Romans Ever Do For Us?

Princeps

They gave us a united Europe and a common currency which lasted for over 500 years. They had an Army which was very similar to ours (Legion and Brigade = about 5000 men, Century and Infantry Company about 100) with pensions, compensation for medical discharges etc. They had baths, concrete, underfloor heating, drains and piped water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Concrete

Ball bearings (my favourite :D )

central heating

roads(before the Romans came there was only tracks)

Trade, with the rest of the Empire

Law

Longbow

Not sure about the roads. WHat did the British chariots run on? I seem to recal, burt ahve no reference to support it, that may Roman roads were built on top of pre-existing British roads. Can anyone comment one way or another?

Not sure about the roads. WHat did the British chariots run on? I seem to recal, burt ahve no reference to support it, that may Roman roads were built on top of pre-existing British roads. Can anyone comment one way or another?

I believe the Celts did build paths, in some cases overladen with wooden planks for the chariots. If this is the case, the Romans would have re-built it with stone after the conquest.

I'm sure many of the other ancient civilizations had tracks or pathways that were known and used by people far and wide and that these people considered them to be roads of a kind. But what set the Roman roads apart from the "barbarian roads" was the sheer, skill and precision in how the roads were built. The Roman roads were designed to get from A to B in the fastest, safest and most comfortable way possible, and the one thing that that sets them head and shoulders above any other "road" is that they were designed and built to last.

If a "barbarian road" went unused for a few years then it would more than likely become over-grown and then eventually disappear where as the Roman road.......Well, take a trip to Rome and check out the Appian Way!!! :D

P.S.

I've just thought of another amazing thing the Romans gave us......Wolf's Nipple Chips! Got to be the best snack ever!!!! :D

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus