UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Quick Strange Question

Hamilcar Barca

I say Di-oh-kle-ti-an but I bet it's probably incorrect

No I'd say you were right. PM will be the judge of this issue I think, unless someone can recruit their local priest to UNRV! ;-)

14693[/snapback]

You mean as in church Latin? I remember in Latin class back in the day though my teacher said church Latin is not true Latin pronounciation.

It's not. There's quite a few differences, but I don't know enough about either to point them all out. I do know though, that the "v" in church latin would be prounounced "w" in ancient latin. ah-weh Yoo-lee-oos Ka-hee-zah (Ave Julius Caesar!) for instance. Actually, "veni, vidi, vici" is a better example (weni, widi, wici) ;)

All I know is its annoying the heck out of my when my teachers pronounce things wrong...like pronouncing the j in jus solis. ::grumble::

I was interested to read in books by Patrick O'Brian that a learned person ( a priest for example), who was educated in the English pronunciation of latin, finds, for example, a Portuguese Catholic priest's Latin almost incomprehensible.

Have English latin and latin by the Romans or other countries really drifted so far apart?

By the way, i always pronounced Diocletian Di-o-clee-shun, but that;s just me :)

"Dee-oh-KLEH-tsyahn". Or so I have been told

14722[/snapback]

That's the correct pronounciation but I think everyone is free to pronounce it the way they want..there's no native speaker alive to correct you after all =) and it's true that latin is spoken differently in different European countries, people tend to add to the latin pronounciation peculiar characteristics of their own languages.