UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Wealth Of The Romans

Tobias

The matter of land ownership was touched upon in the earlier parts of the thread and then the tangent about currency sort of took on a life of its own. I don't think anyone meant to say that a conversation about the wealth of the Romans should be limited to currency issues. Thats just the subject that aroused the most interest.

Of course land ownership was the primary measure of wealth during the Republic and the Empire. I don't think anyone could seriously dispute that fact.

Actually the sesterces was what was mostly talked about and used. the denarius was used, but most amounts were often described in terms of sesterces. And the ownership of land was most definitely the largest chunk of wealth. There were many instances during the Civil Wars (take your pick of which one, the same is true for them all) where there really wasn't any cash money available, so the deeds to various pieces of land, or houses, or buisnesses were traded for food and other products.

I would agree that land ownership measured wealth and high standing. I believe Marcus Tullius Cicero was a compulsive collector of country villas, and many Emperors and influential persons in the late Empire had considerable estates in Thrace etc.

Actually the sesterces was what was mostly talked about and used.  the denarius was used, but most amounts were often described in terms of sesterces.  And the ownership of land was most definitely the largest chunk of wealth.  There were many instances during the Civil Wars (take your pick of which one, the same is true for them all) where there really wasn't any cash money available, so the deeds to various pieces of land, or houses, or buisnesses were traded for food and other products.

15125[/snapback]

Actually, the typical Roman was probably more familiar with the nummi than the sesterces. ;)

As for the Civil Wars, the later ones probably resulted in the need for in-kind transactions because of the raging inflation and massive devaluation of the currency.

For a while, even the government took its taxes in kind and paid its bills in kind.

I would agree that land ownership measured wealth and high standing. I believe Marcus Tullius Cicero was a compulsive collector of country villas, and many Emperors and influential persons in the late Empire had considerable estates in Thrace etc.

15133[/snapback]

I gotta ask this question. Who is the guy in the photo attached to your letters?

What is a nummi?  I've never heard of that before.  Most of what i have studied and concentrated on is the period from Gracchus to Ceasar and i'v never heard of a nummi.

15195[/snapback]

It simply means coins or money. It is not a specific denomination.

15197[/snapback]

In the instances I have seen it used, it seems to be describing a specifically copper coin.

15226[/snapback]

Interesting... any chance you might remember where you've seen it? I'd like to see the references for myself... I've personally never heard this.

It was in A.H.M. Jones' "The Later Roman Empire" Volume I.

The specific things I was looking at were on pages 438 and 439. Now that I look at it again, I notice that there are some things referred to simply as nummi and others that are given a modifyer such as "The Aurelianic nummus", the "centenionales nummi". None of it is crystal clear from a quick skim and, unfortunately, I do not have the time for a more detailed examination since my home is in danger of flooding this weekend and I am busy packing.

Do me a favor and take a look at those pages if you get a chance. Maybe I misread something. It wouldn't be the first time. ;)

It was in A.H.M. Jones' "The Later Roman Empire" Volume I.

The specific things I was looking at were on pages 438 and 439. Now that I look at it again, I notice that there are some things referred to simply as nummi and others that are given a modifyer such as "The Aurelianic nummus", the "centenionales nummi". None of it is crystal clear from a quick skim and, unfortunately, I do not have the time for a more detailed examination since my home is in danger of flooding this weekend and I am busy packing.

Do me a favor and take a look at those pages if you get a chance. Maybe I misread something. It wouldn't be the first time.  ;)

15267[/snapback]

Thanks Dan. I'll see what I can find. Seems we might have a simple interpretation issue on our hands.