UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Switzerland's Roman Heritage Comes To Life

Viggen

The country's most important archaeological site is this year celebrating the 50th anniversary of its museum and Roman house. Augusta Raurica, the first Roman colony to be built on the Rhine, receives 140,000 visitors every year and offers fascinating insights into the way the Romans lived.

full article at Swissinfo

• 6 years later...

I shall be in Basel for a few days at the end of November. I shall ensure I visit. Any tips from anyone?

And is there anything else to see in the area?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, due to fog at Schiphol airport, my trip to Basel has had to be postponed, probably until mid-January. Watch this space, Augusta Raurica fans.

Visit rescheduled to 5th December. Sadly I'll only be able to get there at about 1300, so have lost 2 hours already. Can't be helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Augusta Raurica on 5th December as planned. I'm trying to get my photos together, but watch this space for a visit report. Quick summary:

Good remains, well preserved, but very spread out. Getting round them requires a bit of logistics

Excellent standard of preservation

Small but well kept museum

Very good town house reproduction.

Needs more than four hours - an enthusiast would need a minimum of 6.

Part one of the report - the photo album.

Part 2 of the report - Logistics

Having had a few people I needed to meet with in Basel, I decided to stretch my visit very slightly to give myself a free afternoon to visit Augusta Raurica.

Getting there

For those interested in visiting, you should know that the place is a doddle to visit using public transport. If you

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I'm planning my trip there even as I write this! It looks like a really good site and worth a visit. I'm impressed by the reconstructions. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to part two - no pressure ;).

I've been tasked with writing a document on the practicalities of visiting Basel. If you need any help with your visit, let me know.

OK

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Thanks GhostofClayton! Somehow I missed part two and only saw your reply to me on the 16th. I'm too busy getting ready for Christmas I guess and easily distracted by shiny objects. :huh:

It looks like a very good excuse to go to Switzerland (as if I really need an excuse - my long ago memories of Switzerland are all good).

Looking forward to seeing part 4.

Great post Ghost! Now I just need to figure out a way to get to switzerland! You really make me wish it was close by.