UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Incitatus

Favourite Type Of Gladiator?

I am very inteested to hear people comments on gladiators and thier favrits. Mine is Casedari (somthing like that) which was introduced by Caesar!

Retiarii for me. I once did some mock battles with friends in high school using various kinds of weapons to see how they worked. You would be amazed at how confounding a net can be, particularly against swords and daggers.

The tripod thing? :huh:

A *trident* I believe you referring to. They were used by the Retairii, the same guys that used the net.

Also, this is kind of a weird question, but does anyone know the name of a two bladed sword that was supposedly used by some gladiators? I seen it one or two places but I cannot find it again. It's very funny looking :)

Murmillo or secutor. I like the armour, esp the helmets and shields.

I liked the Equiites, although they usually only fought other equiites. It would be interesting to see a gladiatorial fight like this, both mounted. That was what almost made me like that other mounted gladiators (i can't remember the name offhand) that used to do a kind of ancient jousting.

I also like the gladiators who fought blind!! THe casedari(?) i mentioned fought in chariots!!!

Andabatae: (1st cent. BC) Clad in chainmail like eastern cavalry (cataphracti), wore visored helmets without eye holes. They charged blindly at one another on horseback as an ancient precursor to the medieval joust.

What a wonderful site, why did it take me this long to find it