UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tobias

The Byzantine Empire's Greatest Victory

G'day everyone

In the other thread, it was ascertained what most thought the Byzantine's worst defeats were. Now it'd be interesting to see what everyone think's the Byzantine's greatest win was. If you do express a battle, please try to supply rough numbers of men and the circumstances of the battle. Please bear with me if i don't reply, i'm down with the flu at the moment :)

G'day everyone

In the other thread, it was ascertained what most thought the Byzantine's worst defeats were. Now it'd be interesting to see what everyone think's the Byzantine's greatest win was. If you do express a battle, please try to supply rough numbers of men and the circumstances of the battle. Please bear with me if i don't reply, i'm down with the flu at the moment :)

14810[/snapback]

What do you consider the starting point of Byzantine History? I would say somewhere between Constantine and Justinian.

Ah yes, should have thought of that. I mean beginning with Constantine, as i consider the beginning of the Byzantine Empire to be when Constantine moved the capital to Constantinople. Although really, the true beginning was when Justinian abolished the senate in Rome and made it so that th Later Roman Empire was ruled entirely from Constantinople.

Ah yes, should have thought of that. I mean beginning with Constantine, as i consider the beginning of the Byzantine Empire to be when Constantine moved the capital to Constantinople. Although really, the true beginning was when Justinian abolished the senate in Rome and made it so that th Later Roman Empire was ruled entirely from Constantinople.

15078[/snapback]

Julian's victory at the Battle of Strassburg in 357 AD indicated that the fourth century Roman army could still inflict heavy casualties on the Germanic invaders.

After Justinian, I'd say the Battle of Syllaeum in 677 AD, where they used Greek fire to hold off the Arabs--may have saved Byzantium.

I guess I would have to go with the war waged by Heraclius to recapture Syria, Egypt and much of Asia Minor from the Persians.

Few Emperors ever did more with less.

Yes, i thought that Heraclius's campaign was great as well. I'd have to say that such battles by Basil II Bulgaroktonos as Kleidon and Emesa were quite important in re-establishing the Byzantine's power.

HERACLIUS"S VICTORY.

I believe that was the greates. Both persia and the Empire were strong countries. I mean, it was the first time the Roman Empire faced such a huge invasion by an organized and civilized country. That was must have been devastating. From what I read, Heraclius went to war with Persia a young man and he returned victorious as an old man. Fought for 20 years.

Just before he died, his embassadors told him that all the Southern provinces have been conquered by Arab Muslims. He fought 20 years for these lands and now just before he died somebody came and screwed it all up again.

I would deffinetally believe that he said.

Oh,(edited by system) this.

If would have to agree with you guys..

Heraclius's campiagns and victories were magnificent.....

Also i think it was Heraclius' brother Theodore was superb as was the Patriarch Sergius in the defence of constantinople after it was beseiged by both the Avars and the Persians when Heraclius was off in persia. I liked the way that they messed with the minds of the persians and the Avars when they imprisoned some of the persian ambassadors and changed all the messages. Jus superb :D

I've often thought that Heraclius was one of the least known and least celebrated of the great Byzantine soldier-emperors. His campaigns were brilliant, and the Persian heartland, even Ctesiphon, was not safe from this man's attack. I suppose the majority of his brilliant deeds were lost with the fact that just ten years after his triumph in Constantinople, the Arabs burst forth and engulfed the lands he had just re-conquered. He was still alive when it occurred. Imagine how that must have felt.

I've often thought that Heraclius was one of the least known and least celebrated of the great Byzantine soldier-emperors. His campaigns were brilliant, and the Persian heartland, even Ctesiphon. I suppose the majority of his brilliant deeds were lost with the fact that just ten years after his triumph in Constantinople, the Arabs burst forth and engulfed the lands he had just re-conquered. He was still alive when it occurred. Imagine how that must have felt.

15235[/snapback]

I agree that he has not gotten the recognition he deserves.

Yes he was alive at the end. To top it off, his attempts to heal the monophysite schism failed around this same time and his health was really, really bad. A lot of the more imaginative Byzantines thought it was all part of curse because he married his niece or cousin or something like that.

It was a very sad end for a great emperor and a great man.

Ticaremon 533

Mons Lactarius 552

Nivenah 627

Syllaeum 677

Kleidon 1014

Pelagonia 1259

=Awesomeness: 10/10 :P

Heraklias does go uncredited in history like so many of Byzantines great military men. Other who deserve more mention: Narses, Constantine IV and Leo V. Plenty more but i'm tired and can't be bothered thinking harder. -_-

I wonder what would have happened if the Byzantines had won at Yarmuk. That would definitely be on the list if Heraclius could get over his chronic illness and command in the field at that point.

Of those not mentioned, I think Alexius Comnenus' victory over the Pechenegs at Levunium on Monday, 28 April 1091 was pretty impressive, a combination of diplomacy, strategic, and tactical maneuvering to both secure Cuman allies and get the Pechenegs into a rough spot from which they did not return.

That's something i didn't think of. I have always liked Alexius Comnenus because of the attempted rebuilding of his Empire he achieved after the defeat at Manzikert, with the limited manpower he had it was impressive that he regained a lot of Anatolia from the Seljuk Turks. Where were the Pechenegs though? Were they one of the tribes in or near the Balkans?

Ah yes, should have thought of that. I mean beginning with Constantine, as I consider the beginning of the Byzantine Empire to be when Constantine moved the capital to Constantinople. Although really, the true beginning was when Justinian abolished the senate in Rome and made it so that th Later Roman Empire was ruled entirely from Constantinople.

...John Julius Norwich, Averil Cameron and Colin Mc Evedy (History of Byzantium, The Later Roman Empire and the Penguin Atlas of Mediaeval History) suggest that the Byzantine phase of the Roman Empire began with the reign of Heraclius, about 625AD. Prior to that, it was a recognisably late Roman state.

I regard the best Byzantine victory to be the Battle of Dorylaeum (1098). The Byzantines got the Crusaders to fight their war for them, and regained half the territory they lost at Manzikert with little expenditure in terms of gold or material.

The Byzantines were also tricky bastards too. Just before the Crusaders finally conquered the first city besieged by the Crusders, the Byzantines came at night, by boat on a waterway, and made a deal between the ruler of that city and between them because he rather give it to them then the savage Franks, which resulted in the ruler giving all the gold to the Byzantines to bring back to Alexius. Now, that's deceptive, but they would regret it. Even thought the Crusaders conquered land for the Byzantine, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have to rule it under the Eastern Emperors.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus