UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Napoli

My roots actually go back to the campania province before my family came here in 1959 AD. I hope here we can discuss the history of ancient naples. I heard it was very greek-like as greeks colonized it. I still consider it to be apart of roman history, but it was definately something before rome came along. I hope to learn more about this so I can have a better understanding where I come from on the regional level.

Campania was Rome's breadbasket during the Italia years of its expansion. It saw heavy development by leading Romans for it's rich fertile lands, with an emphasis on grapes and wine. I believe the Greeks certainly did have some hand in development, but not nearly as much as along the southern coast of Italia. Capua was a gladiatorial capital for the training of gladiators and throwing of matches.

• 1 month later...
Campania was Rome's breadbasket during the Italia years of its expansion. It saw heavy development by leading Romans for it's rich fertile lands, with an emphasis on grapes and wine. I believe the Greeks certainly did have some hand in development, but not nearly as much as along the southern coast of Italia. Capua was a gladiatorial capital for the training of gladiators and throwing of matches.

Was it the Capuans and her gladiator team which caused a city wide riot in Pompeii?

Was it the Capuans and her gladiator team which caused a city wide riot in Pompeii?

Hmm when exactly? Not sure but heh, probably.