UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Zeke

The History Of Unrv

I came on this site on June 1st 2004, that was nearly 2 years ago, and I havn't lost my love of Roman History and still love this site alot, though I don't come on as much as I use to.

Since I have joined alot has happended...when I first joined there were around 75 people on the board, me, Viggen, Ursus, Primus, Fanir and some others were the prime posters. UNRV was preety quite, and not many people came on. The site grew slowly, and latter on such loveable figures as Demson, Germanicus, P.Clodius and Pompeis Magnus joined the forums to add many hours of creative debate. Around November 2004 we had a short influex of new members who quickly disregarded the site and became just back ground people who never posted. After that mabye in January of 2005...Spartacus came along, he posted hundreds of times but in the end decided to have his own little revolution and curse us all to hell and well yeah we know what happened to that jerk ;). Well after Spartacus was barred from the sight we had another influex of people who became posters, Ossander I have observed is one of the best known of these people.

Finnally we come to August and September 2005, UNRV has over 700 memmbers and has just went through a FOURTH INFLUEX of new posters. So I classify UNRV posters into three catergories.......The First Generation:From 2003 when the site started to November 2004. Then the Second generation started by Spartacus and some other new people, then after the Spartacus Revolution in April 2005 we had the third generation spurred on by Ossander. Finnaly we come to the Fourth Generation that started sometime at the end of August 2005. UNRV has also gained an upgrade and has much more lively debate then when it first started.

Correct my dates if I am wrong! :) And please feel free to add to the history of UNRV.Com and the different generations of people who have come here, and the scandal that evolved from different posters and so on and so on.

Zeke

Mate, i'll tell you what, if i'd known about this site, i would have joined back in 2003 :)

It sounds like this site's had a colourful history already! Another revolution by another Spartacus? Well, i suppose it's good to learn from past mistakes, but perhaps some people don't learn ;)

At any rate, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread, it'll be really interesting to see what's happened in this site. So Let's do the time warp again eh?

hehe, nice post Zeke...

btw it is not that short actually anymore, the birthday for unrv.com in its current forum is June 30. 2003...

regards

viggen

I came over a year ago. I liked the look of the site (thanks, Moonlapse) the bits on Roman archaeology (thanks, Viggen) and the essays on Roman history (thanks, Primus Pilus).

When I got here there were not many regular posters, and most of the conversations revolved around the same military topics. I was a tad bored and might have left eventually. But we gradually did get new people and the conversation expanded in scope. Every wave of new people brings good and bad, but usually more good than bad.

I arrived in the forums just before the Spartacus revolution, 21 March 05 and found that the greatest thing here was simply been able to talk to like minded Roman enthusiusts, opposed to boring my friends and family. I have picked up alot of knowledge since first arriving here and hope that more will follow in the months/years to come.

Lol Moonlapse, I actually find the first sig pretty cool. :P

Yeah, Zeke, I remember those days. I still come on this site pretty frequently but I just dont have enough time to post all that much. :) Its still good to read all what people have to say though.

By the way, Tobias oddly reminds me of Spartocus before he went crazy... Except Tobias is much more knowledgeable. :)

Well, i have to say that i didn't see the Spartacus revolution, so i don't know what that was like. What happened?

Thanks for the compliment by the way :)

Some of these topics will provide some insight to the topic. He started out very enthusiastic and sparked quite a few interesting discussions, but for whatever reason he started to try to impose a sense of guilt on everyone for sharing an interest in ancient Rome. He was very sly about it and on the surface appeared to be jovial. I, for one, have little tolerance for stuff like that.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1272

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1431

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1458

I remember how unrv started out. It was a fansite for RV made by Viggen. I still don't quite understand how it ended up as today's encyclopedia and for what reason, but I'm happy with it all the same. :)

I agree a very cool place, and a lot more academic than Ancient Worlds.

15258[/snapback]

I would second that, Favonius. There are quite a few nice people in the ancient worlds site though and I have been interacting with several. However, many of the groups there are dormant or dead and perhaps, it would be better if they had fewer groups.

I have been trying to revive one group dedicated to writers but I think there are only a few out there who are willing to post anything. Well, I guess it all depends on how much passion you have for Rome and its history and I'm sure there are tons of lurkers and browsers who just like to read and then move on, without giving much thought to actually contributing anything.

BTW, thanks for the support on the HBO Forums, I appreciate it. I had a few guys send me emails / nasty IMs and even post stuff about me in some of the threads. I honestly don't know what sparked their comments and am still at a complete loss as to the source of their hatred. I have responded to one at length and so far, not a peep from him. It's just amazing how some people are.

BTW, thanks for the support on the HBO Forums, I appreciate it. I had a few guys send me emails / nasty IMs and even post stuff about me in some of the threads. I honestly don't know what sparked their comments and am still at a complete loss as to the source of their hatred. I have responded to one at length and so far, not a peep from him. It's just amazing how some people are.

Wow...you've even had personal communication from people? Amazing how personal people can get, especially when I think of how remarkably diplomatic you have always tried to be. It seems like its either 1. Carnival extremists who love that show so much they hate anything else that comes out on HBO or 2. the academically jealous, heh.

Ok, that fellow Spartacus went off the path a little. May i assert now in paranthesis Fafnir that i have no intention of going the way that chap did, and i would not make people feel guilty about their interests. I love this site already, and i love discussing ancient Rome with people as knowledgeable or more knowledgeable then myself. Also, i don't know if that's how i come across, but i'm not sly underneath ;)