UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Greatest Roman Politician!

Incitatus

I would say that the senator Symmachus was. He managed to carve himself a niche throughout several mid to late 4th century regimes, and survive.

If this was a discussion on the most influential politicians, i would have said the Gracchi, notably Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus for his attempted Lex Sempronia Agraria. But the greatest politician? I'd have to agree that although Caesar had prodigious prowess in oratory and was a gifted manipulator, as well as popular with the people, he would always have the hatred and opposition of the conservative Optimates, limiting his lawful innovations and causing him to continue in unlawful ways, almost guaranteeing his assasination.

Thus i'd have to agree with Octavian. He was another gifted manipulator and i admire his always keeping his own counsel, and he managed to basically have himself proclaimed Emperor in everything but name, instead having himself named the Princeps. That was quite shrewd, as it didn't seem that he was breaking the mos maiorum to pieces. Thus, i'd say Octavian was the greatest.

Allow me to try to think 'out of the box' here...

Famous late Republicans like the Gracchii, Caesar, Octavian, Cato, Cicero etc. were great politicians in their own right, but they operated constantly in a state of strife and dissent. Despite some great achievements I'm looking for someone who rallied all of Rome in unity. We all know the greatness of some of these men so I'm trying to find a 'diamond in the rough' so to speak.

A man who stands out is Cincinnatus who rose to the challenge of defeating a menacing Aequi army in the 5th century BC, assuming the title of dictator in the process. Immediately upon resolving the issue he gave up the dictatorship (in just 16 days) and promptly returned to his farm. Now you might say... if he was such a great politician would not he have remained in a prominent position within the Senate? Perhaps, but consider that when another crisis came many years later (a grain issue) it was the greatly respected 80 year old Cincinnatus who was called upon again to assume the dictatorship and resolve the issue.

Another interesting and sort of quietly important figure is Nerva. Not only was he a well respected senator from the waning days of the Julio-Claudians, through the turmoil of the civil war following Nero's death, and into the reign of the Flavians, but he may have been the only man who could've save the empire from civil war after Domitians death. Perhaps he was involved in Domitian's assassination, perhaps not, but its interesting to consider that following his death there was hardly a hint of impending civil war. How could it happen that in the political vaccuum following a reviled emperor's death that not a single general declared for himself? It was because of the brilliant appointment of Nerva to the purple. Not only was he highly respected among his peers, but his age (66 years) upon his ascension and the fact that he had no children gave hope to these same generals that Nerva's reign might be short and they would still have a chance if they bided their time. Nerva was smart enough to understand the inherent danger and quickly nominated the powerful Trajan as his heir to prevent any further danger. Perhaps this example shows the shrewdness of the Senate as a whole and Nerva was just in the right place at the right time, but I personally feel that he was in fact a brilliant behind the scenes manipulator who made the easy transition from Domitian to 'the 5 good emperors' happen.

They were able to do it because they in the end controlled the economy and army. Later in the Republic when the army stopped being recruited from landed citizens, but rather became a professionally maintained army anyone could get into, the vital connection between citizen and power was cut. I think this is one of the major reasons for the fall of the Republic. No Republic can survive if too much power is allowed to be focused into a few points.

When talking about the great Roman Politicians, I think about the politicians of the late republic, Cicero in particular just out of reputation. They all had incredibly infulencal effects on Rome. My favorite of Roman Politicians was Lucius Sergius Catiline. He was a great rebel and was eventually had the ultimate decree invoked against him by Cicero who was consul at the time. But he was also ,according the the few records surviving about him, a fairly well mannered man who had the power to make people follow him. Not enough men aparently.... but thats just my opinion.

This is indeed a hard question, and many great names have been put forward to fill the slot. However, I would have to agree that Octavian was the greatest of all Roman politicians. He tied together a Republic torn and shattered, with the support of the conservatives, and the name of Caesar - truly a feat at the end of the Republic! He had himself named Princeps, and forged for himself a position that would last hundreds of years.

Definitely Octavian. And definitely not Caesar - even as a general, I think he's overrated :D