UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Alexanders Strategic Blunder?

I agree that it is hard to make valid comparisons between Pyrrhus and Alexander. One thing is clear, Pyrrhus faced a much more reslient opponenet.

Not only that, Pyrrhos' army was no where near the level's of Alexander's. In terms of quality and numbers. I discussed differences in Pyrrhos' army in the Greeks Or the Romans thread.

• 3 months later...

It would still be another 50 years before Rome had anything to do with the Greeks at which point they would be invaded by the Epirote army in the model and standing profesion of Alexanders. Whether or not you can compare Pyrrhus to Alexander is a slippery subject though.

I agree that it is hard to make valid comparisons between Pyrrhus and Alexander. One thing is clear, Pyrrhus faced a much more reslient opponenet.

Pyrrhus did not have much success with his cavalry against the Romans. Was this because his cavalry force was inferior to Alexander's, or was he facing a much more tenacious opponent than any that Alexander ever encountered? In the Battle of Heraclea, Pyrrhus attempted the Alexandr-style cavalry charge, but he was driven back. The Roman cavalry held their own quite well. Somewhat perplexing when you consider that the Romans were not known for their cavalry. He was only able to make a difference when he brought forth his elephants.

The obvious question is what would Alexander have done differently. Would his cavalry charge have been any better? Would he have been able to exploit any weaknesses in the Roman lines? Were the Romans too disciplined to allow themselves to be broken up by a cavalry charge?

Of course Alexander at that time could have easliy defeated the Romans...they had a superior fighting force with an amazing General....The Romans were barely handling the Samnites at that time. But the riches were not there. But could he have marched through Britain and east through Russia. Proabbly if the weather permitted. At that time the north was a poor place to live because climate was not conquerd as it is today. They march by foot...they would not have coped with a Geramn winter nor would they want to. As others mentioned the Germanics were not that good fighters but looked good in show, perhps taller with nice furs and long swordes. As others ahave mentioned they of course wanted the warmer climate too! Many died trying. The Roman legions handled them for along time so easily. Alexnader would have little problems too. But history....

Here is one for you. If Alexander kept to the true Macedonian ways and not been a drunken fool on many occations, could he have convinced his men to march into India and beyond?

No. His men loved him even when they hated him, but every human has a breaking point, unless he constantly revovled and changed his army so that no veteran served more than a set amount of time, than he would constantly run into the same problems. The question also arises that he would need new companions again and again because just with the basic soldier, each of Alexander's companions would want his own domain at some point or another or to enjoy the spoils of thier success. New leuitenants would be needed and this would effect the army in their effectiveness. In addition, had he gone on to the beyond and continued conquering he would be seen today and even in his day as a great general, but a terrible administrator. Alexander left a lasting effect on the world by his victories and conquests without a question, yet made little attempts to really administer his domain, besides setting up Alexandria's everywhere so he could station veterans to settle and help hold the land, he did little else, it was his successors, his generals and companions who ran his empire and turned it into the hellic domains that would later endure. Well, my two cents anyway.

What if Alexander didn't go east or west. What if he went north all the way up into Sarmatia and Germania Magna. But Alexander dies before the conquest is finished. THe Germans and Sarmatians ally to form a strong army made up of the phalanx (which they learned from their Macedonian antagonists) and excellent cavalry which I believe Sarmatia already had.

Then Germania and Sarmatia move west and conquer Gaul and Iberia, then invade Rome. But then some brilliant Roman invents the M1A1 Abrams. Now the Germanians and Sarmatians are retreating back across the Rhine. But then a German invents the IED.

NOw everybody's yelling at Bush to withdraw the troops. And John Kerry said, "Well, I voted for Caesar before I voted against him." Tom Delay said, "What illegally funded trip to Britannia?" But then Dick Durbin said, "The legionaires are Nazi's." Rumsfeld slapped him and said, "You dummy, the Nazis don't exist yet."

Then Germania and Sarmatia move west and conquer Gaul and Iberia, then invade Rome. But then some brilliant Roman invents the M1A1 Abrams. Now the Germanians and Sarmatians are retreating back across the Rhine. But then a German invents the IED.

NOw everybody's yelling at Bush to withdraw the troops. And John Kerry said, "Well, I voted for Caesar before I voted against him." Tom Delay said, "What illegally funded trip to Britannia?" But then Dick Durbin said, "The legionaires are Nazi's." Rumsfeld slapped him and said, "You dummy, the Nazis don't exist yet."

Felix, if you don't like these hypothetical threads, don't post in them.

Felix, if you don't like these hypothetical threads, don't post in them.

I love hypothetical threads. They're the best. I was just having some fun.