UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Happy Birthday

Ursus

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough I remember asking my grandfather that very question many moons ago. He told me it had something to do with young men actually standing around on street corners cracking whips, rather than working. I don't remember why, when or where, but I'd imagine its a 18th century thing from somewhere in Britain? I also can't quite be sure why someone would do that... but if they did, I guess giving them a ridiculous name was warranted.

Somehow that stuck with me over the years. I'm probably way off and it has something to do with milking a cow or something else ridiculous. :(

Close, very close. It did come from young dandies and horse whips and the noise they made on the sides of their coats and breeches. But just like all other times in human history, the term started from the trouble they caused attacking each other and acting like deliquents.

The trendy carrying of horse whips, like so many other fashion trends, came from France.

Good for the ten points though...

Close, very close. It did come from young dandies and horse whips and the noise they made on the sides of their coats and breeches. But just like all other times in human history, the term started from the trouble they caused attacking each other and acting like deliquents.

The trendy carrying of horse whips, like so many other fashion trends, came from France.

Good for the ten points though...

Nice to have one's grandfather's odd stories somewhat validated after all these years. :( Would you happen to know if the one he told me about the horse drawn ice wagon and the kid that stuck his tongue to it was real ;):(

Oh yes... and happy birthday to any of you folks including perhaps our youngest member, Incitatus.