UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Morality of Modern Empires Compared to Rome

Augur

While an interesting discussion/debate... let's keep in mind the idea here. The concept is the perceived morality of the ancient world, albeit compared to our own modern notions, but we seem to be sliding farther and farther into a discussion of modern ethics. I understand the evolution of a debate, but lets try to keep tying it in with the original concept.

Thanks guys... but do feel free to speak your mind of course.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I do understand what you are trying to say, you say it very well. And yes, I do agree that societal condemnation of "brutality" is heartening, an encouraging sign. Our difference is that I find all that righteous indignation unconvincing, indeed downright gratuitous in the face of so much contempory violence and havoc. Marching to save the retarded gay whales, fainting at the site of gore, and crying for huricane victems is all well and good, but not if one fails to fight or even to acknowledge mass murder (which is going on as we write). Finally, no, the positive, enlightened views you attribute to modern societies are far from universal. Just ask many of the survivors of Stalin and all those skin heads running around in nazi uniforms. Peace.

With all due respect to the plight of the "retarded gay whales", I did list many modern occurances of brutality. And if we cannot say things are getting better until its all good for everyone all of the time, then lets just use the lable of "hell on earth" for eternity because there will always be evil in the world as long as there are people. :P

While an interesting discussion/debate... let's keep in mind the idea here. The concept is the perceived morality of the ancient world, albeit compared to our own modern notions, but we seem to be sliding farther and farther into a discussion of modern ethics. I understand the evolution of a debate, but lets try to keep tying it in with the original concept.

Thanks guys... but do feel free to speak your mind of course.

Although we are taking the scenic route to get there, I think we are staying on topic. At the root of this converstation is the point that modern ethics allow us to view events such as warfare, murder, slavery or the like in a way that is different than that of the Romans. As such, we cannot view Roman motives through our modern perspective without distorting history to fit a modern view.

Until we recognize they are very different from us in some very important ways regarding ethics and morals, its impossible for us to begin to understand the Romans as they were.

I was going to split the topic and send the "modern" section of it to the social forum where it could be discussed unabated, but apparently it won't let me do this.

If the topic drifts much further away from the original focus of *ancient Roman* morals, then I'll have to lock it. And while I find the conversation interesting, I do find it going off topic, retarded gay whales and all.

Viggen showed me how to do these complicated splits (thanks, Viggen).

This evolving topic on the morality of modern states and twentieth century violence may now continue unmolested. I simply felt it was off topic relative to the original thread, so I moved it here.

Have fun.