UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onasander

If Caesar Entered The Tour De France?

Should there be limitations on what if discussions? People keep asking "What if Rome and China fought" or "Who was more elite, Samurai or western Knights?", stuff that just doesn't logically make sense to me to be asking. I have only one objection to my chain of thought, and that is the crusades and Alexanders invasion of India, two circumstances in history where nations of extreame remoteness from one another made sudden contact with one another, but in any proper discussion, discussion of Manpower comes into play. I think there should be basic parameters for how what if senerios should be discussed to eliminate, or at least significatnly reduce, the stupidity factor. Like instead of saying, who would win, we should say, how could they attack or undermind one another. By doing this, we would have to significantly research the geography, politics, and logistics involved to make a match happen.... the results of it would speak for themselves much more historically correct for a battle that never happen than a twenty page thread with people going on and on with na uh- ya ha, dey Romans blah blah blah.

I'd really hate to start setting rules for things like this, but I've been known to send the worst examples to the graveyard, and to basically ignore the rest.

I agree it gets bad at times. It's hard for me to moderate the military forum because of it.

I'd have to agree, i felt like i was hitting my head up against a brick wall in the good old days in the Caesar vs Alexander threads :P

I am moving this topic to "suggestion and feedback" and I am expanding on it. Here is a free forum to voice concerns about discussions on the site. Without micro-managing everything, what can we do to inspire good discussions? And what are the sections of the site that need most improving?

If you feel uncomfortable expressing your concerns in public, please e-mail me of or one of the admins in private. Thanks.

I think we should first off try to get people to pose readable and understandable questions and discussion. I don't think any of the current members have a problem with this, but I think we can think of some pretty bad examples...it makes it hard to discuss anything if we can't understand each other.

I can't imagine we've actually run out of things to talk about...but it sometimes looks like we have. Maybe everyone should do some reading and find something to discuss :P

Wait just a minute, wait just a minute!!!!!!

In a battle of Comanche Native Americans VS Indo-European Cro-Magnon....

I'm sorry. :thumbsup: Anyways, it almost seems that all the possibilities have been discussed fully. I'm sure that any new posters attempting to spark up another one will feel the backlash from the previous insanity.

You guys are all off-topic. If Caesar entered the Tour de France he would've lost. Simply speaking, Caesar never learned how to ride a bike. :thumbsup:

Seriously, those topics are difficult for some of us to participate in, but there are folks who like to discuss it. I generally have no problem provided they maintain civility. My suggestion is for those of us who aren't big fans of the hypothetical battle threads is simply to stay out of them, and let those who like it lead the conversation. If they receive little attention from the community as a whole, they won't gain much of a foothold anyway I suppose.

Its a pretty pointless exercise when people are comparing Rome with all the other Empires etc,i got involved in one of these topics and it made me mad as hell :thumbsup::angry::angry:, i didnt learn anything new from the posts so whats the point?im here to learn not to argue.Since the Rome v Medieval bollicks i havent bothered replying to any of the other hypothetical questions.

If Caesar entered the Tour de France he would've lost. Simply speaking, Caesar never learned how to ride a bike.

But he did have those massive Roman calves, so if he had a bike, he could have won. LOL

Yeah, Vs threads are all fairly similar and similarly frustrating.

In a battle of Comanche Native Americans VS Indo-European Cro-Magnon....

I browse some historical forums from time to time and find similar threads everywhere at that this themes are the subject of wide speculation and have the greatest namber of posts.

If Caesar entered the Tour de France he would've lost. Simply speaking, Caesar never learned how to ride a bike.

I think he had many abilities. Why he couldn't ride a bike too? :) It is not so hard for really smart and richly endowed nature.

When was the first bicycle invented, out of interest? As well, when was the first Tour De France? This hypothetical topic is a perfect example of some of the...interesting...threads we have covered lol :)

When was the first bicycle invented, out of interest? As well, when was the first Tour De France? This hypothetical topic is a perfect example of some of the...interesting...threads we have covered lol :)

Depending on which historical reference you use... the earliest form of the bicycle seems to have been developed in the late 18th century. However, anything resembling modern mechanics seems to have taken another century. Though Da Vinci did make a sketch in the 15th century. Too bad it never actually left the proverbial drawing board.

From what I can tell from Googling... the first Tour de France was in 1903. Caesar would've been 2003 years old, I doubt he could have finished in the top 10. :):P

From what I can tell from Googling... the first Tour de France was in 1903. Caesar would've been 2003 years old, I doubt he could have finished in the top 10. :P:P

If Caesar were able to participate in the first Tour de France, wouldn't that imply that he was undead? If thats the case then wouldn't he have super-human vampire powers? "What about the sunlight?", you might ask. Hypothetically, if he's ummm... well... um.

You guys are all off-topic. If Caesar entered the Tour de France he would've lost. Simply speaking, Caesar never learned how to ride a bike. :blink:

No way dude! Did Caesar ever personally train in much of anything before being best at it? Hey, that guy could march for miles and was known for his suprising speed.