UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
marcus brutus

Conn Iggulden Books

I've read Iggulden's books and thoroughly enjoyed them, if you take them for what they are, fictional novels loosely based on a famous name from the past, then you'll enjoy them .They're fast paced action adventure stories and that's why I read them. I already know everything about the life of Caesar so I didn't read them to learn anything new about the man, I read them as a break from the academical stuff.

Conn Iggulden's new books about Genghis Kahn are also very enjoyable, I've read the first in the series and will be starting the second as soon as I get the chance and from what I can tell they are a bit more accurate with the facts than the Emperor series was.

Nor do I. I have no intention of reading any of these books based on this discussion. Unless it is set in an alternate universe where history differs from ours, any defense of it seems pure sophistry.

Iggulden's books are historical fantasy - I guess you didn't read that part of the discussion. Trying to attack them for not being accurate seems like pure intellectual snobbery.

Edited by Lanista

Nor do I. I have no intention of reading any of these books based on this discussion. Unless it is set in an alternate universe where history differs from ours, any defense of it seems pure sophistry.

Iggulden's books are historical fantasy - I guess you didn't read that part of the discussion. Trying to attack them for not being accurate seems like pure intellectual snobbery.

I do understand your position and forgive me for interjecting on a comment addressed to someone else, but I think the key is this label of historical fantasy rather than historical fiction. I think we are in relative agreement that these two genres have rather different connotations. However, I've never personally seen either the publisher or the the author himself labeling it as fantasy in public for common perception. (Iggulden's own synopsis of Gates of Rome) When I picked up the book I thought I was going to be reading a fictionalized version of the details of Caesar's life, not complete fantasy. Had I known... I never would've tried it and therefore would not likely have been left with a negative impression. I'll freely admit that Iggulden is an excellent writer but I can't help my personal preferences when it comes to content.

No, historical fantasy is setting a fictional character in a historical setting. Taking one of the most well known characters in history and totally rewriting his life and times, outside an alternate universe, is what I call something else entirely.

Edit: I perceive you as taking criticism of this book a little personally. No offense meant, but I think you need to calm down and back off before you say something you may regret later.

Edit: I perceive you as taking criticism of this book a little personally. No offense meant, but I think you need to calm down and back off before you say something you may regret later.

I'm sorry, I'm really not emotionally involved in Conn's work, I don't know him personally so I can't get all uptight about what people think of his stuff. I'm sure that I don't regret anything I've said - or will say. I've defended fictional accounts on the forum before and will continue to do so.

I just think it's daft to get outraged over something that's plainly a fiction. As one of the posters on here said, he already knows everything about Caesar's life so he's not going to pick up a novel and expect to be taught anything new. I guess that's the way I think these things ought to be viewed.

But it's all a question of choice: if you don't want to read an adventure story set in Ancient Rome (albeit a fantastical one) because you willl find the license taken with the characters offensive that's your perogative and its no one's business or task to convince you otherwise.

I take genuine joy in fiction (be it film, book, drama or whatever) based in the classical period, and most of it has some merit. I guess I take it for what it is and try not to prejudge - as you say, you're not going to read these books on what you've read here. Me -I'll give anything a try- look, if I'm not enjoying it, then in all liklihood, I won't finish it, but I'm not going to discard something that might bring me enjoyment because it plays with the facts a little.

Or a lot, in this case.

I guess I'll bring it back to "Lion of Macedon." I loved that book, knew that it wasn't accurate but knew also that it was a fiction. It's one of my favorite books, and I've read it time and time again. Wonderful stuff, but totally off the wall (Parmenion was born in Sparta in this one and commanded a corps of cavalry at Leuctra).

But, sure, I can see your point - why read something that you know is going to annoy you!

Cheers

Russ