UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Did The Romans Have Crowns?

Sextus Roscius

I always thought that the laurel wreath was worn during the empire by the statues of the emperors as a mimic of Julius Caesar. Caesar looked for every excuse to wear his corona civica which he earned by single-handedly protecting a soldier during the siege of Mytiline (I think?) Later emperors constantly sought to prove connection and emulate Caesar, and so wearing that readily recognizable wreath became an icon.

Your right, the Emporers where the ones that made the Luarel Wreath famous. However it was a long kept tradition. The little legend goes that durring a triumph a slave stood behind the man recieving the triumph holding the crown above the general's head and wishper into his ear

"remember, you're only a man...."

Your most likely right, however even in the most insane and corupt Emporers of the1st and 2nd century A.D. we don't get such a insult to Rome as to have a crown on their ruler. For example, Caligula, famous for being so insane as to dress as athena and beleived himself to have talked with Jupiter and dined with Venus did not wear a crown. I beleive that prehaps the rise of the Christian church over Paganism might have had something to do with it.

In christianity God is beleived to be the basicaly Ultimate king. The idealazation of the Christian Emporers being the Profinex Maximus (excuse my poor spelling) of christianity or the pope in esscence might have had something to do with the introduction of the Crown over the Luarel Wreath but I might be flawed on this one.

While the corona civica was oak leaves, the Luarel Wreath dates back further.

You pose a interesting question however, I'm not sure what they did to keep their leaves from dieing lol.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the most prestigious and rarest of all military decorations; the Grass Crown. This crown would be presented to a military commander who rescued a Roman army from besiegement or a blockade. The crown would be made up of foliage from the battlefield like grasses, weeds, wheat, flowers etc. The army that was saved by the commander would vote to present the crown to the commander. Pliny speakes of it:

"But as for the crown of grass, it was never conferred except at a crisis of extreme desperation, never voted except by the acclamation of the whole army, and never to any one but to him who had been its preserver. Other crowns were awarded by the generals to the soldiers, this alone by the soldiers, and to the general. This crown is known also as the "obsidional" crown, from the circumstance of a beleaguered army being delivered, and so preserved from fearful disaster. If we are to regard as a glorious and a hallowed reward the civic crown, presented for preserving the life of a single citizen, and him, perhaps, of the very humblest rank, what, pray, ought to be thought of a whole army being saved, and indebted for its preservation to the valour of a single individual?"

Sulla was one of these generals who received a Grass Crown.

The Laurels were traditionally a symbol of victory, and in the time of the republic a general who won a brilliant victory was awarded a triumph, which entailed several lictors with their fasces adorned with laurels. They could not enter rome before their triumph. As was said, the Laurel Wreath dates back further, i'm not sure when.

I believe it was Aurelian (270 to 275 AD) who first wore the diadem (though still in a 'laurel wreath' style) as a permanent symbol of imperial power. Before him, they were only worn by 'emperors' on special occasions.

After Aurelian it seems to have been a hit and miss tradition, simply depending upon the emperor. The jeweled and pearled diadems that followed the laurel wreath style... eventually and essentially becoming a crown, was adopted as standard practice in the 4th century. I'm not exactly sure who was first to adopt this style, but coinage of the day provides an easily trackable point of reference if you care to research it.

www.wildwinds.com is a good place to start.

I always thought that the laurel wreath was worn during the empire by the statues of the emperors as a mimic of Julius Caesar. Caesar looked for every excuse to wear his corona civica which he earned by single-handedly protecting a soldier during the siege of Mytiline (I think?) Later emperors constantly sought to prove connection and emulate Caesar, and so wearing that readily recognizable wreath became an icon.

Actaully, Caesar got promission from the senate to wear it all the time because he was growing bold...

As far as I know it was Diocletian who introduced the diadem and also the Imperial purple made of silk in imitation of the more despotic Persians. The diadem comprised of pearls around a white band that was supported by gold and decorated with jewels.

Diocletian believed that imitating the despotic Persians would give the Emperor more authority, dignity and respect and probably more power, as previously the Emperor had always been considered as an ordinary citizen and could in theory be approached as an equal. Diocletian changed all this and made it that all those who approached the Emperor would have to bow down before him flat on the ground and would also have to adhere to certain court procedures and protocols similar to the Persians.

He also changed the image of the position of Emperor, to look more impressive and to create more awe, this was done by wearing the more elaborate emroided or jewel encrusted purple silk robes and the new more visually impressive diadem.

He also created all the similar offices that a Persian King would have such as 'Chamberlain' and those types of positions that would always follow the Emperor wherever he went. I also think he was the one to introduce eunuchs to the imperial palace.

This is what I've read, but to be honest, the first Emperor I've noticed wearing such a diadem is Constantine. On all the busts I've seen of Diocletian on coins, he's still wearing the wreathes and also what looks like a spiked metal crown. Possibly inspired by the wreaths? One of the statues of him has what possibly could be a diadem but it looks far bulkier than the ones used on the coins, so I'm not sure it it isn't just a decorated wreath instead.

EDIT: Actually, there's an example of a diadem in my avatar, as worn by a clean-shaven Julian Apostate!

• 1 month later...
Guest Venabulum Trinacrea

I was standing in the Villa Romana del Casale (attributed to early 300s a.d.) last week and noticed that there are two distinct types of diadem (crown) employed in the mosaics. Not to mention the various wreath-crowns (laureate, rose). I am pondering the ownership of the villa (accepting the premise that it was that of Maximianus of the Tetrarchy). Taking Gibbon's assertion that Diocletian assumed the use of the diadem as symbol of his power, and given that there were two emperors in power (Diocletian and Maximianus), I note that there are two gem-studded diadems with rose wreath in them on display; I assume these to be representative of the two emperors. (This mosaic in the apse of the "Cubicle of the Musicians and Actors.") There are four of the second type of diadem (without gems) in the "Vestibule of Eros and Pan" -- which I am assuming are representative of the actual members of the Maximianus household (including wife Eutropa, son Maxentius, and daughter Fausta; the fourth could be for Maximianus himself, or his step-daughter Teodora.) Appreciate any constructive criticism.