UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Did The Romans Have Crowns?

Sextus Roscius

I'm amazed that no one brought up the gold crowns given to soldiers for being the first to mount the walls during the taking of a town...

"In the capture of a town those who are first to mount the walls are presented with a gold crown. So too those who have covered and saved any citizens or allies are distinguished by the Consul with certain presents; and those whom they have preserved present them voluntarily with a crown, or if not, they are compelled to do so by the Tribunes.

For the recipients of such rewards not only enjoy great glory among their comrades in the army, and an immediate reputation at home, but after their return they are marked men in all solemn festivals; for they alone, who have been thus distinguished by the Consuls for bravery, are allowed to wear robes of honour on those occasions: and moreover they place the spoils they have taken in the most conspicuous places in their houses, as visible tokens and proofs of their valour. No wonder that a people, whose rewards and punishments are allotted with such care and received with such feelings, should be brilliantly successful in war." - Polybius, 6.39

Also see: Corona

I'm amazed that no one brought up the gold crowns given to soldiers for being the first to mount the walls during the taking of a town...

"In the capture of a town those who are first to mount the walls are presented with a gold crown. So too those who have covered and saved any citizens or allies are distinguished by the Consul with certain presents; and those whom they have preserved present them voluntarily with a crown, or if not, they are compelled to do so by the Tribunes.

For the recipients of such rewards not only enjoy great glory among their comrades in the army, and an immediate reputation at home, but after their return they are marked men in all solemn festivals; for they alone, who have been thus distinguished by the Consuls for bravery, are allowed to wear robes of honour on those occasions: and moreover they place the spoils they have taken in the most conspicuous places in their houses, as visible tokens and proofs of their valour. No wonder that a people, whose rewards and punishments are allotted with such care and received with such feelings, should be brilliantly successful in war." - Polybius, 6.39

Also see: Corona

I beleive a Similar reward was given to the first sailor who boarded a enemy ship durring a naval battle, was it not?

• 4 weeks later...

I beleive a Similar reward was given to the first sailor who boarded a enemy ship durring a naval battle, was it not?

Yes, I believe that it was treated as the same thing

Coming late to this topic, excuse me if I repeat anything that has been said before, I have skimmed previous posts but may have missed things.

Caesar wore a laurel wreath (earlier a corona civica) - it is said to hide his baldness.

At the Lupercalia in February 44BC, Antonius offered him a crown three times - he declined it. Whether this was a diadem (difficult to "offer" for reasons given below) or a rayed crown is difficult to say.

The "diadem" was an inch wide strip of linen, usually plain, sometimes with the ends fringed and long enough to rest on the shoulders. It was tied around the brown of a ruler, either across the forehead, or just behind the hairline. Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt used it as did other rulers of Alexander's successor states. this is unsurpring as Alexander took the diadem from the mitre-crown of the Persian monarchs, where it had enricled the taller felt cap.

Apollo was often depicted with a rayed golden crown, and some rulers - perhaps Nero - may have taken to wearing this. the huge Colossus beside the Flavian amphitheatre (originally with the head of Nero - later had such a crown.

Later Emperors may have adopted other forms of crown, including the helmet crown, from which the arched crowns of later times developed.

I am happy to expand on this if it would be useful to anyone - royal regalia is an interest of mine.

Phil