UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Inventions Of Rome Leading To...?

Guest blokinblain

Guest blokinblain

Hello, my name is Sean and recently I've just been putting information toghether based on the expansion of inventions a culture creates, seeing if there is a pattern with either the progress of economy or the change on philosophical views of a civilization.

This is just for fun but I'm having a lot of trouble finding data on older civilizations (such as Rome)

and any help would be awfully appreciated.

I'm looking for an accurate timeline of any possible modernizations or broader areas of research Rome possibly dug into throughout it's entire empire.

Oh and if your curious at all please ask questions. I'll try to answer any questions, even although I've been amusingly busy with multiple projects that I've been working on for the past year.

But please don't feel like I'm putting you on the spot. I don't need your assistance but if your interested...well hop on.

thank you

Ancient economy was almost totally dependant on agriculture. That being said the advances in agriculture were very slow during this period and not a whole lot changed. Very ancient cultures figured out the whole irregation thing, then came iron tools. After that really not a whole lot changed enough to make any true revolutions in productivity.

Fascinating Topic,

I always wondered about that myself, i mean was there between (lets say) 200 BC and 200 AD any advancement at all?

Like, did the way aqueducts were built change? Did the roads improve? Were there any improvement in healt? Any inventions?

It seems the Romans took over all the knowledge from the greeks but did nothing much to invent anything themselves?

as i said a facinating topic...

cheers

viggen

As viggen said, a completely interesting subject.

Though it is hard to tell if technolgy changed a lot as the empire expanded or if inventions made life incredibley different. Most tools are now gone and many buildings still around are half destroyed at best in most areas of the empire.

However there has been some evidence to show slight changes. Aquaducts were changed slightly over time with the addition of the roof to keep water clean. Also, bath houses were changed as the Romans and other cultures created better heating systems and found better fuel sources. All of these are small and relitively unnoticable changes.

But, in my opinion, the area of the Romans most notable for changes was the Army. The armor and organization of the Army changed dramaticaly over the ages. Roman hastati (excuse my spelling) were massly different than the khafaracts (once again, spelling) of the eastern empire. Roman military tactics and Equipment changed to fit the enemy they fought. Such as the Romans adopted a different formation for fighting macedonian and greek phalanx and again for fighting the barbarian hoards. These were all made due to a different "invention" so to speak of the enemy.