UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest supplecoder

Battlefield Tactics

Neos Dionysos,

Thanks for these. I'll do what I can to get hold of them, especially that latter, which looks ideal. Does anyone know of any online locations for some decent information on artillery tactics?

Rome Total War.

No seriously! It is one thing to read about it. To see it in action can really give you a feel for what it could have been like.

I agree. Rome total war is a very educational game covering the basics of ancient roman warfare including weapons and tactical informations too.

I agree. Rome total war is a very educational game covering the basics of ancient roman warfare including weapons and tactical informations too.

Indeed. If you really want tactical though, multiplayer might be a better choice than single player, since often against a computer opponent somewhat unrealistic tactics seem to work wonders (well, like as greeks just use enough phalanxes to make a circle when defending, some horsemen and missile troops in the middle, and watch the enemy run to a pointy death, then let the horses loose when the enemy flees and run them down). Of course, you can use more realistic tactics, but often those end up being not as effective against AI in my experience.

Indeed. If you really want tactical though, multiplayer might be a better choice than single player, since often against a computer opponent somewhat unrealistic tactics seem to work wonders (well, like as greeks just use enough phalanxes to make a circle when defending, some horsemen and missile troops in the middle, and watch the enemy run to a pointy death, then let the horses loose when the enemy flees and run them down). Of course, you can use more realistic tactics, but often those end up being not as effective against AI in my experience.

Rome: Total War is ok... if you want a more clearier picture of what ancient warfare was the Rome: Total Realism mod gives that too you...

Total realism has some very interesting "behavioural" packages for the various troops.

I

Agreed. Maybe the games developer should have put more work into the AI or even created a difficulty structure, like easy,normal,very hard and extremely hard(for me of course) :rolleyes:.

I like your battlefield tactic. Might try it sometime.

Possibly, but the average games player wants action right there and then (they have short attention spans you see) rather than slog away for most of the day like the real thing. Computer games generally don't work too well when they get realistic - they need a 'game' factor thrown in and lets face it - most game developers really don't want to spend years researching their subject either.