UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honorius

Women In Byzantium

Who is your favourite woman throughout the history of Byzantium?

Irene has to be my favourite women in Byzantine history. For her desire and lsut for the throne.

She acted as regent but was later dethroned by her son. She was very cunning in gaining revenge on her son Constantine by having his eyes out. Gotta love that evil Irene. It is said that she had agents feed her son false intelligence about the enemy and so he returned to constantinople and soon found out that the saracens had not retreated and had broken into asia minor. Many despised him after this (Coward). She easily gained alot of support

Defenitely Theodora,

It was during the Nika revolt that Theodora proved her leadership. Two rival political groups existed in the empire

I despise Theodora because she is so devious and a backstabber. When Belisarius returned to Constantinople after his massively successful conquest of former Rome, Theodora just happened to convinced Justinian that Belisarius proved a threat to his rule, which I happened to think Belisarius was very loyal anyways, Justinian had Belisarius painfully tortured only to let him live as Belisarius the Blind and live his life out as a homeless and helpless. There goes what Belisarius could have done for the Empire and the army in the future.( I merely opinion)

Oh also, whom or which Constantine is Honorius talking about?

I despise Theodora because she is so devious and a backstabber. When Belisarius returned to Constantinople after his massively successful conquest of former Rome, Theodora just happened to convinced Justinian that Belisarius proved a threat to his rule, which I happened to think Belisarius was very loyal anyways, Justinian had Belisarius painfully tortured only to let him live as Belisarius the Blind and live his life out as a homeless and helpless. There goes what Belisarius could have done for the Empire and the army in the future.( I merely opinion)

I do agree with you in the sense that she was an evil woman, though she is considered a saint in the Orthodox Church beleive it or not, (I was shocked), and you do have to admit that she did bring much stalwart support behind her husband, she did bring in new reforms and changes in public policy and helped make women more equal, (though they were still not of course), than they had been in the past and had it not been for her steadfastness in the face of the Nika revolt, Justinian may not have held the throne.

Have you also heard of the theory she had Theodoric's daughter Amalansutha killed by her cousin because she felt threatened by her? Essentially, Amalansutha had good relations with Justinian, perhaps very good relations and Justinian, it is claimed, took a liking to her since she was of such noble birth and was educated like a Roman and good speak of the Law Codes and Administrations in Latin or Greek, so Theodora, being nothing more than a Circus Performer felt threatened and had her killed. When Amalansutha's cousin had her arrested, Justinian said he would take action if she were not placed back on the throne, yet the cousin recieved a secret message from Theodora telling him to get rid of her and that she guarenteed Justinian would do nothing. After her death, Justinian used that as his pretext to invade Italy. You can throw the theories either way but an interesting one to think nonetheless.

Oh also, whom or which Constantine is Honorius talking about?

I have no idea...

Have you also heard of the theory she had Theodoric's daughter Amalansutha killed by her cousin because she felt threatened by her? Essentially, Amalansutha had good relations with Justinian, perhaps very good relations and Justinian, it is claimed, took a liking to her since she was of such noble birth and was educated like a Roman and good speak of the Law Codes and Administrations in Latin or Greek, so Theodora, being nothing more than a Circus Performer felt threatened and had her killed. When Amalansutha's cousin had her arrested, Justinian said he would take action if she were not placed back on the throne, yet the cousin recieved a secret message from Theodora telling him to get rid of her and that she guarenteed Justinian would do nothing. After her death, Justinian used that as his pretext to invade Italy. You can throw the theories either way but an interesting one to think nonetheless.

I can certainly believe it, the woman's cruel enough already as it is. Good post, I agree with you.

Hail!

An interesting bit of Belisarius trivia...

By AD 555 Belisarius was far removed from his position as re-unifier of Rome. Blinded and destitute the beleaguered ex-General had become a beggar at the gates of Rome. As was common practice, these wretches were kicked and abused by passersby. Though Belisarius was no longer a great man in the eyes of Rome, he still had his pride and would often rage at these rude folk that he was once a man to envy, was once a man that they admired and should be treated far better than to be kicked. He would then advise all were still listening to not kick him just because he is a low beggar, they do not know how he came to be down and are unfair to so callous. This wisdom from a disgraced General, wronged and ruined by the manipulative Theodora, is the origin of common phrase, "Don't kick a man when he's down". Pax

An interesting bit of Belisarius trivia...

By AD 555 Belisarius was far removed from his position as re-unifier of Rome. Blinded and destitute the beleaguered ex-General had become a beggar at the gates of Constantinope. As was common practice, these wretches were kicked and abused by passersby. Though Belisarius was no longer a great man in the eyes of Rome, he still had his pride and would often rage at these rude folk that he was once a man to envy, was once a man that they admired and should be treated far better than to be kicked. He would then advise all were still listening to not kick him just because he is a low beggar, they do not know how he came to be down and are unfair to so callous. This wisdom from a disgraced General, wronged and ruined by the manipulative Theodora, is the origin of common phrase, "Don't kick a man when he's down". Pax

That is not necessarily true... many claim that tale was one created during the 17th/18th centuries in France to make references to the current political climates by using the 'last hero' of Rome, instead of one that is current and so avoid persecution. Nothing I have seen in Nowich's excellent series on Byzantium or of anything by Treadgold has ever hinted to Belisarius being reduced to a begger.

Wikipedia does hint on it, though I'd like to try and find an actual textual reference... but for now this will have to do.

Another strong factor in this is that Theodora died in 548ad, well before Belisarius' suppose'd blinding. After her death, there was no one 'out to get him' in the sense and even during her life while she hated him, she would not see him so horribly dishonored because he was married to Antonia who was Theodora close friend and confidant and such a crime would also shame her as well.

Edited by Neos Dionysos