UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sextus Roscius

What Would You Be In Roman Society....

I still go for "parasite" at a noble party-but the guy who declaims the edicts and news in the forum( in HBO) looks to have a job for life (literally) and to be quite well fed so I might settle for that.

Point well made, he is quite well fed. Fun job I would think, but you would have to make sure you only declaimed the postive ones or things could get quite nasty (as happened to many of the proclaimers in the French Revolution)

But I must agree, I would rather like the pretty girl feeding my grapes at a lovely country villa in the Pompeian farmland (perferable I'd be on vacation from my lovely city home in the city) and you mustn't forget that we (depending on what time period) might have to abide by some code of ethics. So the villa would be quite the lovely retreat I would think. ;)

I would want to be a legionary or just any free Roman Citizen during the 2nd Punic War. I consider this or the time of Augustus when Rome was at its best. When the Romans faced Hannibal and he defeated them at the battle of cannae, Hannibal sent someone to neogotiate Rome's surrender, the Senate however refused to even see him. This is Rome at its greatest time, they had the gift of being able to just put there heads down and fight it out. To see Rome at its best, fighting (in my opinion) the greatest commander in all of history Hannibal. That is when and who I would want to be in Rome.

But I must agree, I would rather like the pretty girl feeding my grapes at a lovely country villa in the Pompeian farmland (perferable I'd be on vacation from my lovely city home in the city) and you mustn't forget that we (depending on what time period) might have to abide by some code of ethics. So the villa would be quite the lovely retreat I would think. ;)

Yeah, its one of those aspirations that sort of stands the test of time. Tell me what era isn't a good time to have a pretty girl feeding you grapes.

You do realize being a senator has a really good chance of getting executed if your deemed a liability and a threat to the imperator. You might as well could have been killed for supporting an unpopular imperator. Politics may be even more deadly than a campaign where you really only fight during the late spring to the full summer to late fall. Not to mention if you have a good leader, you've got a good chance of surviving.

I guess a being a senator is not for me.

I'd probably end up being what I am now; someone that just does his own thing. I'd probably do best being something practical, like a baker, potter, scribe, or farmer. Someone non-controversial.

Yeah, having a pretty slave girl serve, but then you'll also have a good chance of an assassin behind you ready strike while that beautiful girl is charming you. Being a senator is risky.

Correction. Being a politically active senator was risky. Being a pleasure loving, self-indulgent senator who would go with the flow........not so much. ;)

If you were an easy going guy who made it clear that you had no serious aspirations, grudges, etc, then why would anyone go to the time, expense and risk of assasinating you? If I lived back in that time, I would spend most of my time in my villa, do the minimum that was required of me and try to get along with everyone. I would have been the guy who put the word "idle" in the term "idle rich". lol

....and I would have left all of the power grabbing self-gratification to those who felt they came up a little short in one form of measurement or another and felt a need to compensate for something.

Edited by DanM

You do realize being a senator has a really good chance of getting executed if your deemed a liability and a threat to the imperator. You might as well could have been killed for supporting an unpopular imperator. Politics may be even more deadly than a campaign where you really only fight during the late spring to the full summer to late fall. Not to mention if you have a good leader, you've got a good chance of surviving.

I guess a being a senator is not for me.

Nonesense. The rank of senator had no inherent risk associated with it. An ambitious senator on the other hand would face all sorts of risks. No one went around killing wealthy people who did not challenge their authority or their agenda. Most tyrants of the era wanted the legitimacy of the Senate's approval and would welcome Senators who did not make waves.

I'd like to be an ambassador, so that I could travel within and beyond the empire and meet all sorts of lands and persons.

Edited by Callaecus

A pre-marius legionary, to be indebted to nothing but the bonds of freindship in a unit of fellow comrades

a life i miss today

A pre-marius legionary, to be indebted to nothing but the bonds of freindship in a unit of fellow comrades

a life i miss today

I know what you mean :blink: (hey, why isn't there any "nostalgic" crying-smiley?)

I would be an engineer or builder. For me the best thing about Rome is its buildings.

And I would be a very wealthy courtesan with lots and lots of influence over her men! :hammer: I'm shameless...but honest!

I would be a Equestrian . Perhaps not a very important figure but a wealthy one with a Villa in the countryside and a modest domus. Either that, or I would be a merchant during the High Empire. Plenty of money to go round then.

I would be a contortionist/dancer, the headliner entertainment at imperial banquets.

I would catch Caesar's eye, who would exclaim in admiring astonishment: "Holy Hades! That puella has more twists than the Tiber!"

Caesar would then order urns filled with golden coins, to be deposited at my feet. I would wink at Caesar, with my right leg demurely hooked behind the back of my neck. Caesar's jaw would immediately drop to the marble floor, his tongue rolling out like a carpet and his eyeballs shooting from their sockets, cartoon-style ("ah-OOO-gah!" sound effects included, of course).

Cleopatra would be reclining in the audience, doing a slow burn, while Marc Antony was drunkenly laughing his ass off at her.

-- Nephele

Click here for Your Hidden Roman Name

Edited by Nephele Carnalis