UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Would You Be In Roman Society....

Sextus Roscius

A learned mathematician would have been worth his weight in gold as a slave and sought after by people like Caesar, who needed such men to extrapolate simple calculations and figure out probabilities and other decisions as he had to constantly balance the lives of his men with the objectives of the mission or campaign and his own safety.

Caesar roughed it out with his men, there's no question about it. The current "Rome" series doesn't show this simple soldier side of Caesar, the man from the Subura, the common man in Rome who would not balk at spending some time in the ditch, digging along with other soldiers. He would march along with his men for long periods, not traveling by either horse or litter and take rests and breaks only when his men wanted to and never insisted, not once over the instructions of his centurions. He was well liked by all the centurions, who were the first line of battle and always, you wanted your best men in front.

The fact that in all his accounts, Caesar mentions only two centurions by name, Vorenus and Pullo, makes the Rome series a little more interesting. They must have been two worthy men who attracted his notice through their bravery on the field. There is no better place to judge a man's true character than in the thick of battle, when he is about to lay down his life for his commander. It must be a strange feeling as I'm sure that even after all these years, we have very few men of the caliber of Caesar coming along.

Salve Skarr,

very useful comments.

I tend to think that Like Napoleon, Caesar's great ability to make decisions which turned out well (usually) were because he may have been somewhat of a savant in making those types of calculations. I refer you to Will Durant's THE AGE OF NAPOLEON (THE STORY OF CIVILIZATION PART XI). That could've been one of the many reasons that In his book, "Caesar and Christ", Durant called him "the most complete man that antiquity produced".

My own subsequent interest in Napoleon came as a result of searching for Caesar's equal in a more modern setting.

otherwise, Hear, hear!

Valete

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have been one of the denizens of the Subura (but not a slave), who'd have had all you hoity types clutching your purses and secreting valuables into the sinus of your toga if you passed me in a dark alley (or even a well lit one). Need someone assasinated? I'd be your man. I'd have been a member of the capite censi that all you senators and first class Romans would be at pains to keep placated with bread and circuses. I would loaf and graft as would be my gods given rights as a free born Roman scumbag.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd have been one of the denizens of the Subura (but not a slave), who'd have had all you hoity types clutching your purses and secreting valuables into the sinus of your toga if you passed me in a dark alley (or even a well lit one). Need someone assasinated? I'd be your man. I'd have been a member of the capite censi that all you senators and first class Romans would be at pains to keep placated with bread and circuses. I would loaf and graft as would be my gods given rights as a free born Roman scumbag.

lol, well Im glad you hold yourself in such high regard!!

Hehe! I was taking the piss somewhat. Have you noticed that most everyone else is something upper class? You have to have someone to downtrod!

I imagine I would have gone in antiquity in much the same way as I went in modern times. I might have done a stint as a regular soldier but would have tried to get into the seige engine business. So, with luck, I think I would have ended up as a Catapult and Ballista repairman.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! But we would be fighting for the love of Julius Caesar. And if Marc Antony looked like Jame Purefoy, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, I would let you have Caesar.

I would be a contortionist/dancer, the headliner entertainment at imperial banquets.

I would catch Caesar's eye, who would exclaim in admiring astonishment: "Holy Hades! That puella has more twists than the Tiber!"

Caesar would then order urns filled with golden coins, to be deposited at my feet. I would wink at Caesar, with my right leg demurely hooked behind the back of my neck. Caesar's jaw would immediately drop to the marble floor, his tongue rolling out like a carpet and his eyeballs shooting from their sockets, cartoon-style ("ah-OOO-gah!" sound effects included, of course).

Cleopatra would be reclining in the audience, doing a slow burn, while Marc Antony was drunkenly laughing his ass off at her.

-- Nephele

Click here for Your Hidden Roman Name

Hehe! I was taking the piss somewhat. Have you noticed that most everyone else is something upper class? You have to have someone to downtrod!

Would you pray on innccent young patrician women too? Of course, since I would be living on the Palatine, I would not be in your part of town. My family would be of ancient decent, generals and consuls, very rich and of course handsome. And yes, I would be married off at a young age, to another rich and succesful family, but my husband would be a defus and I would rule the household. Then I would fall in love with someone else. He would want me to run away from all of Rome. I would decline, because of a woman of Rome, I would do what is best for the Republic. Then my husband die in battle or did he????? And then the some one else and I would get married and our son would be the greatest Roman of all time!

I would be a contortionist/dancer, the headliner entertainment at imperial banquets.

I would catch Caesar's eye, who would exclaim in admiring astonishment: "Holy Hades! That puella has more twists than the Tiber!"

Caesar would then order urns filled with golden coins, to be deposited at my feet. I would wink at Caesar, with my right leg demurely hooked behind the back of my neck. Caesar's jaw would immediately drop to the marble floor, his tongue rolling out like a carpet and his eyeballs shooting from their sockets, cartoon-style ("ah-OOO-gah!" sound effects included, of course).

Cleopatra would be reclining in the audience, doing a slow burn, while Marc Antony was drunkenly laughing his ass off at her.

-- Nephele

Wow! But we would be fighting for the love of Julius Caesar. And if Marc Antony looked like Jame Purefoy, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, I would let you have Caesar.

Nah, I wouldn't be fighting for the love of Caesar. I just want his filthy lucre -- he can keep his Roman hands to himself. :thumbsup:

-- Nephele

Would you pray on innccent young patrician women too? Of course, since I would be living on the Palatine, I would not be in your part of town. My family would be of ancient decent, generals and consuls, very rich and of course handsome. And yes, I would be married off at a young age, to another rich and succesful family, but my husband would be a defus and I would rule the household. Then I would fall in love with someone else. He would want me to run away from all of Rome. I would decline, because of a woman of Rome, I would do what is best for the Republic. Then my husband die in battle or did he????? And then the some one else and I would get married and our son would be the greatest Roman of all time!

Wow, you've got it all planned out, haven't you! I wouldn't pray on you. Your son might have me flogged.

-- Nephele

Nah, I wouldn't be fighting for the love of Caesar. I just want his filthy lucre -- he can keep his Roman hands to himself. ;)

-- Nephele

....'with my right leg demurely hooked behind the back of my neck'... :lol:

I can picture it vividly ;) . Come down to the Subura and let's see who we can grift!

• 4 weeks later...