UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sextus Roscius

What Would You Be In Roman Society....

From my recent study of dining and drinking habits I think id like to be a "parasite"( not a term of insult please note) ie: a dinner guest who entertains the company with witty conversation in exchange for endless dinner invites to the houses of the rich and would be in-crowd..

A nice, low key, infinitely bribable and having strong guys at my back, tax farmer during the later Republic.

I'd ride the direction the fair winds blew and unlike so many of my fellows I'd actually retire in five years or less to a large farm holding while building good local patronage.

Yeah, either that or try to kill a tyrant, miss, and stick my hand into a fire like a traitor to impress people :thumbsup:

I retract my previous statement about the Greek aristocrat. My enthusiasm for Greece is not what it once was. Now I'd like to be ... a Celtic chieftan allied with Rome. Yes, when not kowtowing to my Roman overlords, I would live a life of feasting and wealth and Romano-Celtic temples. Sounds like a nice life.

I retract my previous statement about the Greek aristocrat. My enthusiasm for Greece is not what it once was. Now I'd like to be ... a Celtic chieftan allied with Rome. Yes, when not kowtowing to my Roman overlords, I would live a life of feasting and wealth and Romano-Celtic temples. Sounds like a nice life.

Interesting Ursus, personaly I wouldn't like to live as a Celtic Cheiftan. Not hygenic enough for me, and I like to live a life of gilded grandure (not to mention marble walls and mosiac floors) rather than large halls full of food and drink.

Yes indeed my attraction to the life of the "parasite" was explicitly made on the grounds of luxury and wine in a warm climate.

Imperial culture is the fusion of Roman culture with whatever the local culture was. Most educated Romans looked to Greece; most educated Romanophiles in the modern era look to Greece. That's fine. Greece has its fine points. Personally, though, I'll take the halls of food and gold over Platonic and Stoic philosophy. :) Cheers.

and I would like to be a Roman tourist in the Valley of the Kings and leave grafitti for my modern self to see! That was one of the most stunning things about visiting Egypt,seeing that nearly 2000 years before someone had done exactly the same tourist trip.The roman grafitti was even more "real " than the tombs themselves.

Imperial culture is the fusion of Roman culture with whatever the local culture was. Most educated Romans looked to Greece; most educated Romanophiles in the modern era look to Greece. That's fine. Greece has its fine points. Personally, though, I'll take the halls of food and gold over Platonic and Stoic philosophy. :) Cheers.

Personaly, I couldn't think of any thing more fun than sitting around all day reading and writing and discussing about the world, the ideas in it, and how it works. Drinking and feasts constantly just don't hold quite the same attraction to me, I'd get a stomach ache. Personaly I would want to be more laid back, and the role of philosipher fits my hobbies perfectly. Though I can see becoming a politician too...nahhh

Interesting Ursus, personaly I wouldn't like to live as a Celtic Cheiftan. Not hygenic enough for me

You know, the Celts used soap, the Romans didn't. They also got more excercise than many Romans(all that migrating), I hear they would even fine people for being fat.

true, but to me the general idea of celtic soceity bears with it the idea of "unclean" its just something about me that makes the buildings they made, the food they ate, and what they did have a "unclean" aspect to it, though not true physicaly, its more so a mental state in which I find a slight hint of repulsiveness.

definitely an engineer. Well paid, but not close enough to politics to get me murdered.

definitely an engineer. Well paid, but not close enough to politics to get me murdered.

Just be sure and build your bridges, roads and aqueducts well and death may well be avoided, one slip up and it'll be curtains - political wrangling or not!

Gather near good Romans, stand tall and content while I speak of things important, if just for a moment...

Without reservation and with courage we all gaze into this mirror called Rome, the mirror which best reflects the image of our desires. We, as free citizens, of this PROUD NATION gladly accept these roles as best benefits each of us, one and all, best serves the glory of ROME. As we move forward into the vast frontier we will need ENGINEERS, SOLDIERS, TRADERS, DIRTY CELTIC CHEIFTAINS, WHORES yes EUNECHS and many more for noble duty. Together, we will hammer the steel of our will against the anvil of the barbarian tide. And, good citizens, together, with your strength and overwhelming talents, WE SHALL PREVAIL!!!!!!! :)

Orator :D

Pax

PS Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words on my first few posts. I am honored fellow citizens, to be counted as one of your number! ROMA VICTOR!

I am curious, where is this site based out of? Official UNRV time is 6.5 hours ahead of me, hmm, in the UK perhaps?