UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Would You Be In Roman Society....

Sextus Roscius

Well for me i would be a couple of things(either/or/and) I guess the first thing would be a Pratorean(i dont think i spelt that right at all) in the late imperial or a gladiator (any except the fisher) or as a Pretorean(yet again....) i to save my neck from being killed by the masses that i subjectated would join some small gladitorial arena where nobody knows me so i can possibly if at all redeem my name so i wouldnt be killed(that is if i didnt die by the gladitorial sword)by the people i subjectated/familys of the people i killed :);) but if anything else i would want to be a wealthy vineyard owner and spectacular wine maker:):):):)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have like to have been a friend of the Emperor Claudius, to have discussed politics with him, and find out what he was really like.

Or failing that I would have wanted to be a soldier in one of the legions led by Tiberius, when he was a serving officer, from what I've heard he was a hard task master.

He led the army to countless victories in the best Roman tradition.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be a governor of one of the rich provinces of the East. Developing trade and infrastrcture, maintaining order, diffusing Roman culture to the future citizens of the provence and sending all the proceeds home to the treasury; no higher calling :D ... and if your troops love you enough you just might get to march on Rome when the Emperor dies.

• 1 month later...
I'd be a governor of one of the rich provinces of the East. Developing trade and infrastrcture, maintaining order, diffusing Roman culture to the future citizens of the provence and sending all the proceeds home to the treasury; no higher calling :) ... and if your troops love you enough you just might get to march on Rome when the Emperor dies.

P.C. Scipio, my sentiments exactly...' no higher calling'...

Myself, failing the necessary business intellect to be a governor, I would likely be a philosopher in Roman Alexandria, or possibly a smaller settlement on the coast of

Africa Proconsularis. Away from the hustle and bustle of Rome...

Alex.

What would you be in Roman soceity, any era, job, class, or stature you would want to be in Rome. Describe what you would want things to generaly be like and such.

Personaly, I would like to be a banker durring Agustus's rule. A member of one of the more successfull but not inceribley well know, some what like the Caecilii of Pompeii. I would want to have a fairly nice town house but would spend most of my time in a villa out in the countryside, preferably tuscany or in the area around Naples. I would want to have a nice family, a wife and a son preferabley along with a good commidation of slaves so I didn't have to do anything becuase I'm lazy. All of these would let me have a fairly laid back lifestyle. Praise Bacchus!

Thats just me though, what would you want to be

I would probably be a slave after being captured in my former country, which is now a new province (I don't even remember its name) and where I was a writer. With a little luck (well, not so little) I hope to end as the teacher of the kids of a senator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nothing could match the true comeradery of a legion, a real bond of friendship, brotherhood. Your life rested on those to your right but the problem with that is the probable likelihood of death. Which i am not so keen on, that is not to say i fear it, but i would not like to be put in the front line. I would like to have came from a senatorial background, just to have politics as a reserve. My optimum life would be out of the slog that is politics though, maybe an action packed stay in Illyria later to develop a knack at forging, and help at the legion smith. Yet have enough time to find a roman girl :ph34r:

whatever.

vtc

I would have liked to be a Roman empress, but not cruel or anything like Agrippina the younger, more like Octavia, wife of Nero.

Evn though Nero had the slight tendency to go crazy.

vtc

• 4 weeks later...
What would you be in Roman soceity, any era, job, class, or stature you would want to be in Rome. Describe what you would want things to generaly be like and such.

Thats just me though, what would you want to be

I'd want to be a freedman or a freed slave. One of the best routes to excel in Roman society, appeared to be open to slaves with useful skills. To serve the powerful meant to be close to the powerful, and in serving the powerful, (but not too powerful, which could involve unpredictable dangers) with skill and acumen, a slave was likely to be noticed and become a valuable property. Not too rarely, some of those slaves were manumitted as a reward for some meritorious service. I would have strived to become one of those individuals.

One of the most exciting fields in Rome was construction, and for a freed slave, working close to or under an architect would have been a service of a high order. Buildings, stuctures, even earthworks created as a result of those labors could have, and many times have, lasted for millenia.