UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Austria claims to have invented tartan kilts

Tartan kilts have become fashionable in Austria after archaeologists claimed the country invented them.Many Austrian stores are now selling "traditional Austrian" kilts and sporrans as well as lederhosen. The Austrian claim is based on the discovery of what they claim is the oldest piece of tartan in the world. The host of the Austrian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire is the latest convert to the trend. Armin Assinger turned up at the studio wearing one of the Carinthian kilts.

more here

here the company website that makes them (just 10 minutes away where i live)

http://members.aon.at/rettl/indexkaro.htm

Some interesting stuff, Viggen! They should talk to some Irish Kilt makers, the sense of Celtic pride is strong there, and Dublin is always chalk full of American tourists trying to be Irish, who empty their pockets for some crappy bit of crap with celtic designs and a little story about it. :D I might have to look at buying one next time I go home, I'll hop a boat to Scotland, and try to find one!

now thats funny from austria over Irland to the US lol

btw did you (kama, lynch) notice the little blue pip and the title underneath?

Well, the irish didnt vacation here, they moved away from kiltland and stayed in america, quite a lot of them infact :D

Kilts we're the scottish armys standard uniform at one time. Makes you wonder what if there we're a bunch of scottish troops running and then suddenly a draft of wind blew the kilt up and the enemy died laughing. That would be a site to see.

Kilts are still standard uniform for many Scottish, Irish, and Canadian Army Units, including the one I am serving in, the Calgary Highlanders; sister unit to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. As for us Irish moving to North America, we did it to escape war, unemployment, poverty, famine, and tyranny. Only to find ourselves treated like dirt in what was supposedly the "Land of the Free". Fighting your wars and building you're cities. We did'nt go looking to find ourselves and try to be something we're not. As an Irish writer once said, "The population of Ireland is 100 Million, and only four million of them still live on the Island." :D

And, what Blue pip, and title Viggen? :D

A little known fact:

"Austria, before the Iron Age, had many kangaroos and other "rare" animals. However, due to excessive kilt making by the Austrians, kangaroos can only be found now in one place on the world. Archeological finds show many "bone mounds" in northern Austria, it is believed that this is where the main production of kilts began, maybe even an early form of the mass production line, not again realized until the end of the 1800s. Due to this production in the north, early kangaroos migrated south to the red sea, then evolved fins and swam to their now place of residence, Australia. So if it wasn

LOL, ok Professor, how do you explain Koala's then :)

I think he wrote something on them aswell, ahh, here it is:

"The issue of the migration of the Koala bear is not has simple as that of the kangaroo. However, it is believed that Koalas were hunted not for their fur or meat, but for protection. Around 3000BC, koalas were viewed as tree spirits by the few residents of Austria. When angered, the spirits would descend with lightning speed and attack by biting and clawing at the back of the neck, instantly severing the spinal column. It was believed that this only happened during a full moon. Ancient cave drawings even show early man worshiping the bears out of fear. Later this evolved into a Werewolf type animal in the minds of the natives. This caused the hunting of the koala bear almost to extinction. Fossil fragments show that, to survive, koalas slowly became smaller, furrier, and cuter. During the time of the Romans, they were sold in the east, and eventually made their way to Australia. They did this by fashioning boats out of the skulls of early Austrians as payment for years of persecution."

Come on, I thought everyone knew that story.

And, what Blue pip, and title Viggen?  ;)

Hi Lynch,

(bit late my reply sorry about that overlooked the last line of your question)

the title (in your case) is Immunes (you can see it under your Avatar), and the pip are the 3 blue squares underneath.

cheers

viggen

This bit of "news" reminds me of another story I came across awhile ago; I think it was on the Discovery channel (Canada).

Apparently, some experts say they have "evidence" that lasagna was a medieval British invention, and not Italian; as is widely believed.

Imagine that!

There was some type of medieval dish, that used alot of the same ingredients as "Italian" lasagna.