UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Roman Empire Wallmap

Well, my new wallmap has just arrived in the mail today. The only word I have about it is 'exquisite.' Now I must go revel in its awesomeness for a few hours.

Got a slight problem with the map. The paper is thin enough that, even in a good-quality frame, it's developing "waves" under its own weight. I'm going to have to find some photographic mounting paper and try to mount the map to some posterboard or something.

Got a slight problem with the map. The paper is thin enough that, even in a good-quality frame, it's developing "waves" under its own weight. I'm going to have to find some photographic mounting paper and try to mount the map to some posterboard or something.

Indeed, any poster that large should be mounted. Mine is very nice, but was professionally done (so a bit expensive). Mounting on some sort of backer board should help greatly whether you do it yourself or have it done by a professional framer.

When reviewing the options, our printer suggested that using a stock any greater than the standard 100# would've probably made it a bit too inflexible for a poster.

Indeed, any poster that large should be mounted. Mine is very nice, but was professionally done (so a bit expensive). Mounting on some sort of backer board should help greatly whether you do it yourself or have it done by a professional framer.

I've also noticed the reflective surface of the glass makes it a bit difficult to read, so I think I'll move it over to a standard poster frame, without any plexiglas.

BTW, I used to be a photographer a couple of lifetimes ago, so have some experience mounting photos, although nothing that large. Well, if worse comes to worse, I buy another copy of the map (it's that good that I wouldn't mind the extra expense).

I've also noticed the reflective surface of the glass makes it a bit difficult to read, so I think I'll move it over to a standard poster frame, without any plexiglas.

BTW, I used to be a photographer a couple of lifetimes ago, so have some experience mounting photos, although nothing that large. Well, if worse comes to worse, I buy another copy of the map (it's that good that I wouldn't mind the extra expense).

The person who framed mine used a glare resistant glass (this isn't quite an accurate description, but it sort of has a smoked look to it, while maintaining complete clarity). No matter the angle that I look at it, or the positioning/direction of various lighting, I can generally see the detail without difficulty.

I had it framed @ Michaels

[slap self on forehead]

Aarrggghhh! There's a Michaels 45 minutes from here! What did it cost?

Edited by Marcus Caelius

[slap self on forehead]

Aarrggghhh! There's a Michaels 45 minutes from here! What did it cost?

Well that's sort of the kicker I guess. I paid about $230. :blink::hammer: Though my main cost was the frame that I chose. The service itself wasn't nearly all that bad, as I recall.

However, they and other similar stores... Jo Anne Fabrics (sp?) my wife tells me... also sell all the materials you would need to do it yourself. I would expect a much more cost friendly result if one is so inclined.

Well that's sort of the kicker I guess. I paid about $230. :blink::D Though my main cost was the frame that I chose. The service itself wasn't nearly all that bad, as I recall.

That must be one hell of a frame! I went back to Michaels (that's where I had purchased the frame for $15) and they mounted the map for $30. It wouldn't fit back into the frame, afterwards, so I stuck a couple of acrylic hangers on the back and put some old poster frame pieces on to protect the edges. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Now, if I can just talk you (or whomever) into doing a contemporary city map.

That would be Moonlapse... but he has quite the slate of projects in his queue already. :D

That would be Moonlapse... but he has quite the slate of projects in his queue already. :)

Someday soon! (I hope) The good thing is, my new job pays considerably more than the last, so building up the backup funds and investments to switch over to a more freelance career should take less time. But anyways, we have all kinds of maps and website stuff planned. ;)

But anyways, we have all kinds of maps and website stuff planned. ;)

Why don't I just send you my credit card?