UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

Ancient Pagan Holidays

Oh yes, this.

ill try next visit but i think it coud raise another eyebrow, because of religeous flavor.

I don't think the mature and civil people of this site will have any problems with it.

Yeah, I remember plenty of religious discussions here a while back. We would often drift far out of a historical context and into discussion of the merits of religions in general, usually Christianity. It never got out of hand, and to the eternal credit of the Christians who took part, nobody took anything too personally.

On this site I've found people are more likely to get overexcited when discussing the merits of of historical general or something than on such piffling little issues as the nature of God and meaning of life. ;)

I was thinking of going as a Roman Senator to work, since we're allowed to dress up. Only problem is it's starting to get cold here, I'm not sure a toga will be enough.

Essentially, all religious holidays have polytheistic origins. Outside of more recent dates that can be verified (and those tend to be national holidays, like the 4th of July), all holidays have always been constant with humans, the only thing changing being their names and supposed reason for existence. For example, Passover, a Jewish holidays supposed to celebrate the exodus of the people of Israel from Egypt, is simply a celebration of spring, draped in Jewish clothes. The same Passover became Easter, again, same holiday, different explanation.

One possible reason is simply the desire of newer religion to counter the older religions' celebrations. So, in order to make sure a Christian doesn't celebrate Passover it was necessary to have a holiday on the same date.

Incidentally, the term "pagan" is a derogatory expression invented by the Christians to denigrate the believers of the many gods. Or else, there's a lot of "pagans" around today, just go to Japan or India, it's full of "pagans"...

LOL. Halloween came to Russia too and I see the attributes of this holiday in the all shops around here. It is not Russian holiday but Russia doesn