UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pendragon

Ursus

I read this about 15 years ago. It's a retelling of the Arthurian legend by a British author.

A lot of it is pure fantasy fluff. The survivors of Atlantis escape to the British Isles. The Druids are peaceful nature worshippers who readily accept Christianity. Feh.

But what is interesting is that the first two books of the series are set in the dying days of Roman Britain. What's left of the Roman government organizes a Celtic cavalry band to fight Germanic invadors. From this arises Merlin, Arthur and the Knights of Camelot. Merlin's adventures as a Romano-Celt fighting Saxons are actually more interesting than Arthur and his Knights.

Anyway, some nice escapist drivel to read on a slow day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendragon_Cycle

I like these Arthurian books.The Romans have left Britain but theres still some tribes who stay loyal to there Roman ways,so there's a mix of Celts and Roman's fighting the saxon invaders.And Arthur is very much a Celtic warlord in these novels,i've read these books many times i love B.Cornwells work and i recommend reading them if you have the time.

Hes worth looking into Ursus i enjoyed all his books,the main characters in the Arthur trilogy are all members of Mithras and there's some interesting scenes regarding the initiation ceremony,i dont know how accurate they are but Cornwell's usually quite good historicaly.

I will second Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles, I devoured those books in a rabid frenzy, although I've been lagging on reading the latest one... mostly because I havent found a paperback.

I've read a few of Lawhead's books, but not the Pendragon Cycle (didn't interest me) and I have to say that I liked his Song of Albion trilogy immensely, however this was when I was 14 and I don't know how well it would measure up to a mature reader's tastes.