UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Question?

Legatus Legionis

Helvetia was an ancient region of central Europe occupying a plateau between the Alps and the Jura Mountains. It was named by the Romans for its predominantly Celtic inhabitants. Helvetia corresponded roughly to the western part of modern Switzerland. The area of Helvetia was part of the roman province Raetia

regards

viggen

Didnt it refer more to the former territory of the Helvetii, the gallic tribe that Caesar defeated?

Yeah it did but i was at my high school latin convention and a firend and i were having a dispute if it was ever a real porvince. i didnt believe it wasbut he was convinced that is was.

Yep, that's what i thought. That's pretty much correct. it's where Caesar and his men rushed to stop them during their migration, just north of Cisalpine Gaul as you said. I suppose it's pretty lucky that they did migrate, or Caesar may never have started his famous Gallic Campaign eh?

Seems the only Roman provinces in the general area near Helvetia would have been Alpes Poeninae, Alpes Cottiae, Cisalpine Gaul, Germania Superior, Rhaeta or Agri Decumates. Seems there was never specifically a Helvetia province but the actual land of Helvetia was distributed between the above mentioned provinces.

Yep, that's what i thought. That's pretty much correct. it's where Caesar and his men rushed to stop them during their migration, just north of Cisalpine Gaul as you said. I suppose it's pretty lucky that they did migrate, or Caesar may never have started his famous Gallic Campaign eh?

I wonder how many people actually believed that...does anyone here think Caesar actually believed this was a valid reason for his campaigns?

Concerning the 15 BC...it does seem to be about the right period in which this area became permanently Roman territory. However, it never was an official province to my knowledge.

I wonder how many people actually believed that...does anyone here think Caesar actually believed this was a valid reason for his campaigns?

It may be the only actual truth regarding Caesar's ultimate conquest. Consider that his initial goal was to spread Roman influence in Illyria, Pannonia and beyond. With the disposition of the legions prior to his moving towards Gaul, it seems logical to me that the Helvetti were indeed causing problems. Now with that said, I agree 100% that Caesar used this situation to further his own agenda, but I do believe that the Helvetti were initially problematic for Gallic allies.