UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Worst Roman Punishment?

Sextus Roscius

were there any particular sites favoured for that type of exile?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter are of course now favoured holiday destinations for Brittanic natives.

The latter are of course now favoured holiday destinations for Brittanic natives.

Ironic isn't it? But then perhaps the worst exile could be on that island they call Britannia, and Lesvos a vacation in comparison...

Just kidding Red Coats I love your country. :ph34r:

Lesvos would involve less fighting.

and-back on topic I notice that as you may be fomenting revolt was I correct in suggesting "damnattae Memoria" (sp) as punishment for a failed uprising (on top of any personal punishment)? Legion iii Augusta suffered this did they not, but were later as a disgraced vexillation able to reform the Legion.

Lesvos would involve less fighting.

and-back on topic I notice that as you may be fomenting revolt was I correct in suggesting "damnattae Memoria" (sp) as punishment for a failed uprising (on top of any personal punishment)? Legion iii Augusta suffered this did they not, but were later as a disgraced vexillation able to reform the Legion.

I suppose Domitian would be the most famous to receive the Damnatio Memoriae.

Nerva was an excellent replacement

Ive dug out an interesting punishment from early republican Rome,if the matron of a house drank wine ( which at that time was totally forbidden to women) the Paterfamilias could then order that she be starved to death in .

actually my continued reading of "at the Roman Table " leads me to suggest that the worst punishment might be a grand dinner including a main course of "barren pigs womb". :thumbsup:

actually my continued reading of "at the Roman Table " leads me to suggest that the worst punishment might be a grand dinner including a main course of "barren pigs womb". B)

I now turn my thoughts of patricide as worse punishment, to this repugnant "feast?" if it can be called so. I must agree. "barren pig's womb" yuck! B)

As long as it isn't raw, it's probably not THAT bad...lol theoretically speaking it's no worse than tripe (which alot of people seem to like) or liver (which I happen to love) or fish eggs ::licks her lips::

Alot of the torture methods that have been used throughout history (and I'm sure Romans used them as well) are worse than the actual executions (because you stay alive longer). And they aren't even punishments necessarily, just ways of finding information.

Opinion was divided amongst cooks as to which type of womb was more succulent-barren or fertile. :)