UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Britain After The Romans

Viggen

After the collapse of Roman rule, coin minting and the use of money appears to have ceased for some two centuries. Britain reverted to barter and a largely rural, moneyless economy. Glyn Davies (1996: 641) notes that "after the fall of Rome Britain showed the unique spectacle of being the only former Roman province to withdraw completely from using coined money for nearly 200 years

from Postroman.info

any comments?

cheers

viggen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Rome's beginning of the end, the increasing sense of insecurity came strong. Around the third century, the villa life in Britannia, upon which the edifice of roman occupation was built, was in jeopardy. Records and archaeologists find the signs of fear spreading through Britannia, such as new forts and systems of galleys to protect the east coast coming into being, the walls of London being furnished with towers built from evacuated stone houses from the dwindling town-population, broad Roman gateways of towns narrowed to half their previous size with masonry, and hoards of roman coins (almost none of which are later then 400 A.D.) were observed and found.

The pages of history reveal the reported efforts made by the romans to protect Britannia. Again and again, in spite of revolts and ingratitude, officers and troops such as Theodosius, Stilicho etc were sent to protect them from the invading sea barbarians and the Picts and Scots. The British caused Constantine to become ruler of the Romans, although he felt obliged to protect the continent rather then Britannia, whilst still draining it of troops. However, it had to come that by the fifth century, all the legions had gone from Britannia, and it had been stripped of all it's defenders by various rulers. Honorius made his reply in 410 to desperate pleas for help that "The Cantons should take steps to defend themselves."

However, after this, the famous St Germanus, Bishop of Auxerre, came to Britannia, and reported Britain as being a land of wealth; there being treasure, flocks and herds, abundant food, functioning civil and religious institutions, and being generally prosperous, but at war.

After his great victory at what had become known as the "Alleluia" battle, Britain was restored to peace, and Germanus returned to Auxerre. Around twelve years later (441 or 442 a.d.), i believe a Gallic historian said "The Britons these days, by all kinds of calamities and disasters, are falling into the powers of the Saxons." This was around the time of the beginning of the Mass Migration from the north. From here onwards, darkness and fog closes in, with only such persons as Gildas, Bede and the documents such as the Ango-Saxon Chronicle and some archaeological finds are all we have to guide us of this time.

I believe that the complete ending of the use of coinage probably come from a lot of this; the failure of institutions, constant war and invasion, the loss of their greatest ally and defender.

Britain was always the least Romanized of the Western provinces anyway, especially the further one got away from London. The constant presence of three legions - such a large number for such a small piece of real estate - is probably what kept it in check. While there were semi-Romanized Celts who were attached to the Roman elite in the urban areas, they were probably a minority. Once the legions left it doesn't seem like there was much to remind the citizens of Roman culture and civilization. And so it crashed hard during the fall.

True, the Romans never really managed to romanize Britain..the first form of coin was probably the Saxon "sceatta"(sp.?), a couple of centuries after the Romans left.

Even before the raids of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes most of the Romano-British had already stopped continuity with the roman culture, it's not surprising to see they rapidly came back to a barbarian way of life.

this is the time in Britain known as the "Celtic Twilight" it coincides with the Arthurian legends or" The Matter of Britain" as it is sometimes called -perhaps our desire for the "Return of the King " is for Julian order? I was chatting about this with my old boss some time ago who pointed out that where he lived -a little further on from Ribchester it was quite probable that in Roman times the fertile valley floor had good sheep farms and comfortable bungalows with central heating and flushing lavatories,something that would not return for a very long time. My own part of the Empire near to Castercliffe would I think be a lot less hospitable,as I write the rain is coming down in buckets as is typical of our climate here. Barter was indeed the way of the economy after the Romans departed which points to the struggles that were experienced in achieving distinct nationhood again.

The whole area has a history as a cavalry mount breeding ground-my previous home in Ightenhill was just that , an area reserved to the King in the Middle Ages for the breeding of horses.There was little else by way of settlement till the early 1830s.

There are some ruins in Ribchester and I will make a a photographic sweep of the area to get some fresh images for this site when the weather is a litle better. Likewise I will do the same for Ravenglas (Glanaventta) where I often visit.

At both sites the Bath House is the most prominent ruin.

Ive promised myself a visit to Housesteads fairly soon and Pompeii in the new year so if you wish I wil post images from all these sites.

Housesteads isnt too far away ,perhaps two hours by car (across country) strange to think this was the edge of the civilised world. I have also worked in Scotland and covered an area including Falkirk, so the Antonine Wall has been in my provenence as well .

Also, there were no one to make a stable, relaible currency during the dark middle ages.

True. With the constant invasions of the Norsemen, and the general turbulence and upheaval of populations and empires and domains, most treasures worth anything were hoarded, not melted down to make coins. About the only nation to make coins in the dark ages was the Byzantine Empire.

England after the Romans was basically divided up into a series of dominions like the Northumbrians, the Welshmen (although the probably didn't call themselves that) and the other northern and southern dominions. Along with these was the continuously invading Norsemen who were slowly, bit by bit, gaining more and more influence. I doubt any lord would have been rich enough to afford any system other then barter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well consider;

This is the sort of thing Roman had been producing in the 2nd century CE. This is an Antoninus Pius denarius, struck around the 150s.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/903211.jpg

Such coins did reach Britain and were in 'circulation'. (How much circulation they saw exactly is another question). I know a coin dealer that's selling a Nero aureus that was found in the UK, so coins of this nature were definately around.

By the 870s the most advanced coinage being produced were broad thin silver pennies. Here's a King

Those are really good pictures Tiberius Sylvestius. I'd agree that it looks like the coin casting methods are getting worse as they go along, but that is probably reflective of the times; both loss of technology and richness of the government affecting these coins.