UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Favonius Cornelius

The Roman Writers

One of the most common information requests we hear at UNRV is for possible sources. Aside from archaeology, of course we depend on the surviving records of the ancients who recorded the happenings of their times to get an idea of what did occur. I would like to start a thread that can be used as a resource for scholars of the Roman history. I will provide an initial listing* with a brief description of each historian. I urge all members to add their comments or any historians which I may have missed, and I will regularly update the list below. I ask also that members better versed with the poets, playwrights and philosophers help me with their names and backgrounds.

Ambrosius Theodosius Macrobius, 400 AD

Little is known for certain of Macrobius, but we do know he wrote the Saturnalia in seven books which contains micellaneous information on Roman antiquities. Particularly useful for its quotations of missing sections of earlier historians. "Good laws have their origins in bad morals."

Libanius, 314 - 393 AD

Greek native of Antioch, he was a teacher of rhetoric, an orator and a man of letters. He was a devote pagan who withdrew from most public life and dedicated himself to his studies, though at one time he did communicate with the Emperor Julian. His surviving works consist of 1,544 letters, 51 declamationes, 57 hypotheses and 64 speeches on the ideals of the upper classes of the eastern provinces, and are a priceless source of information on a wide range of topics on late Roman antiquity. ""The festival of the Kalends is celebrated everywhere as far as the limits of the Roman Empire extend. . . . Everywhere may be seen carousals and well-laden tables; luxurious abundance is found in the houses of the rich, but also in the houses of the poor better food than usual is put on the table."

Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, 340 - 402 AD

The greatest orator of his day, traditionalist pagan and anti-Christian, he held high posts in the imperial administration. What survives are many of his letters, some state papers and panegyrics of Valentinian I and Gratian. Most known perhaps for speaking out against the removal of the Alter of Victory from the Senate House and his demands for tolaration of pagans in an increasingly radical Christian world. "We ask, then, for peace for the gods of our fathers and of our country. It is just that all worship should be considered as one."

Claudius Claudianus, 370 - 404 AD

A native of Aegyptus, he moved to Rome and became a prominent court poet, the last to write in a classical mode on many genres. His works are all in praise of his patrons Probinus and Olybrius, and in aid of Stilicho. Though pure propaganda they serve as a resource for a poorly covered time. "This is the city whom thou, Stilicho, and heaven guard, her thou protectest, mother of kings and generals, mother, above all, of thee. Here Eucherius first beheld the light, here the queen his mother showed the babe to his imperial grandsire who rejoiced to lift a grandson upon his knee and to let him crawl upon his purple robes. Rome had foreknowledge of his destined glory and was glad, for so dear a pledge would keep thee ever her faithful citizen."

Jordanis, 6th Century

Of noble Goth or Alanic blood, served as a magistrate in Moesia, and then later took up Christianity as a monk. His Do origine actibusque Getarum serves as a valuable resource for the history of the Goths and other nearby tribes. "This part of the Goths, which is said to have crossed the river and entered with Filimer into the country of Oium, came into possession of the desired land, and there they soon came upon the race of the Spali, joined battle with them and won the victory."

Zosimus, Late 5th Century

A Greek historian and a thorough pagan who yet held high offices in the Byzantine Empire, he wrote his New History in six books. It provides a brief outline of Trojan history then covers in detail Roman history from 305 - 410 AD, and is an indispensable source for these times. A major theme was the fall of the empire and the reasons for it, his belief that it was due to the allowance of barbarians into Roman lands and the neglect of pagan gods with special hostility to Constantine. His histories and ideas have always been under attack by Christians because of his beliefs, providing an invaluable different point of view on the histories he writes, correct or not. "He (Constantine) began his impiety by doubting divination; for since many of its predictions about his successes had been fulfilled, he was afraid that people enquiring about the future might hear prophecies about his misfortunes. For this reason he applied himself to the abolition of divination."

The 'Historia Augusta'

No one knows who wrote it, and were they alive they probably would not admit it, but it serves as a monstrosity of falsification. It is a collection of thirty imperial biographies from 117 to 284 AD, presented with obvious trivial anecdotes and highly suspect 'documents' proving the content. "He (Elagabalus) had the custom, moreover, of asking to dinner eight bald men, or else eight one-eyed men, or eight men who suffered from gout, or eight deaf men, or eight men of dark complexion, or eight tall men, or, again, eight fat men, his purpose being, in the case of these last, since they could not be accommodated on one couch, to call forth general laughter."

*List of names and some author's biography taken from Naphtali Lewis and Meyer Reinhold's Roman Civilization - The Republic and the Augustan Age

**Work in progress! TBC**

Edited by Viggen

I wonder if I should continue. I totally missed that section. Since you guys have already done a great coverage of it I'll probably abandon the effort, thanks for letting me know haha. :bag:

I do see a few missing though...

Hi Favonius Cornelius,

no problem, but if you think there are some missing, go ahead and make for us the list complete :)

cheers

viggen

Here are some more names and personalities. Granted, some are more useful than others, but I think it worthy of the ancestors to name all whom the tides of history have granted us, and you never know what little important tidbit you can find. Also...you know me, I love the obscure. :)

Dionysius of Halicarnassus, 60/55 - 7 BC

Greek teacher of rhetoric and a distinguished literary critic. Wrote on these topics and also wrote his Roman Antiquities in twenty books, a history of Rome from the legendary beginnings to 264 BC. Books I-X and most of XI still exist, with fragments of the rest. Very rhetorical and prone to inserting dubious speeches, still a valid and valuable source.

Sextus Propertius, 50 - 2 BC

One of the leading poets during the Augustus age and member of the Maecenas literary circle. His poems range from poetry devoted to his 'Cynthia' later to Augustan and national themes.

Seneca the Elder, 55 BC - 41 AD

Father of the famous philosopher, from Cordoba Spain. He wrote a collection of Debates and Pleadings composed of eighty-one subjects on criminal, civil and social themes based on hypothetical laws and situations.

Velleius Paterculus, 20 BC - 30 AD

Retired army officer from Campania, his only work is the Compendium of Roman History in two books, the first which survives in small part and the second fully intact. It is a weak, abridged history, very flattering to the aristocracy and worshipful of the imperial family, particularly Tiberius under whom Velleius served. Most valuable for data on Roman colonies and provincial history.

Valerius Maximus, Reign of Tiberius

Nothing is known of the man, other than the fact that he wrote Memorable Deeds and Sayings, a miscellaneous collection of facts and anecdotes in nine books. Used to serve as a repertory for rhetoricians and teachers, it still yet contains a few gems on Roman history and her institutions.

Lucius Junius Moderatus Columella, Reign of Nero

Retired army officer from Gades who later became a farmer in Italia. He wrote another Roman work On Landed Estates in twelve books and the book On Arboriculture. Most useful in seeing the changes in agriculture between the Republic and the Empire when compared to Cato and Varro. "He allows very readily, that the eyes and footsteps of the master are things most salutary to the land."

Marcus Valerius Martialis, 38/41 - 100 AD

Origionally from Bilbilis Spain, he spent much of his years in Rome as a man of letters and experienced all levels of Roman society. This is seen in his fifteen books Epigrams, a collections of thumbnail sketches of various men, women and customs, providing a very valuable resource for details of common life in Rome during the Flavian period.

Dio Cocceianus Chrysostomus, 40 - 120 AD

Dio Chrysostom came from a wealthy provincial family in Prusa, Bithynia. After becoming famous as a travelling lecturer, he later traveled to Italia and associated with the Imperial court. Exiled by Domitian, favored by Nerva and Trajan, his speeches are copious and not nearly all of them survive. What we do have consists of sophistic orations, moral discourses and political addresses. Noted for its content on local affairs in the Greek cities in Asia Minor.

Lucius Annaeus Florus, Reign of Hadrian

Little is known of him other than his birth in Africa province. His only work is a two book abridged panegyric history of Rome called Epitome of Roman History. It is devoted mostly to military events and takes much from Livy.

Marcus Cornelius Fronto, 100 - 167 AD

Born in Numidia, he was a master of rhetoric during his times, so much so that after a public career in Rome became the tutor for Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus. His Letters are a collection of pendantic instructional correspondences with his two imperial pupils. Provides a valuable picture of Marcus Aurelius.

Lucius Apuleius, 125 - 171 AD

A member of the provincial aristocracy in Madura Africa, he was a gifted lawyer, travelling lecturer and an opponent of Chirstianity. His literary interests involved mystical religions, magic and philosophy. What survives are his Apologia, a defense of himself against accusations of practicing magic, the Florida, a collection of his lectures and philosophical writings, and the Metamorphoses, a popular romance. His works are a valuable source of social life and the religious trends of the times.

Pausanias, Reign of Marcus Aurelius

Greek traveler and geographer, his Description of Greece served generally as a tourist guidebook and is useful for information on Greece under the Romans.

Sextus Aurelius Victor, Reign of Julian

Magistrate who served around 360 AD, also a historian who wrote on the Caesars, from Julius Caesar to Constantine. Known to have written Historia Romana in four parts.

Athenaeus, Early 3rd Century

A Greek born in Naucratis, Aegyptus, he moved to Rome where he wrote his Savants at Dinner, a miscellaneous collection of facts, quotations and anecdotes on various social, literary, and particularly culinary topics.

Eutropius, Reign of Valens

Little is known of the man other than the fact that he wrote a Compendium of Roman History that covers up to 364 AD. Mostly dependant on secondary sources, it helps fill in some gaps in the histories.

Ambrosius Theodosius Marcrobius, 400 AD

Little is known of Macrobius, but we do know he wrote the Saturnalia in seven books which contains micellaneous information on Roman antiquities. Particularly useful for its quotations of missing sections of earlier historians.

Libanius, 314 - 393 AD

Greek native of Antioch, he was a teacher of rhetoric, an orator and a man of letters. He was at the same time a zealous pagan and sympathetic of Christians. His surviving works consist of 1,500 letters and 64 speeches on the ideals of the upper classes of the eastern provinces, and are a priceless source of information on a wide range of topics on late Roman antiquity.

Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, 340 - 402 AD

The greatest orator of his day, traditionalist pagan and anti-Christian, he held high posts in the imperial administration. What survives are many of his letters, some state papers and panegyrics of Valentinian I and Gratian.

Claudius Claudianus, 370 - 404 AD

A native of Aegyptus, he was a prominent court poet, the last to write in a classical mode on many genres.

Jordanis, 6th Century

Of noble Goth or Alanic blood, served as a magistrate in Moesia, and then later took up Christianity as a monk. His Do origine actibusque Getarum serves as a valuable resource for the history of the Goths.

Zosimus, 5th Century

A Greek historian and a thurough pagan who yet held high offices, he wrote his New History in six books. It provides a brief outline of Trojan history then covers in detail Roman history from 305 - 410 AD, and is an indispensable source for these times. A major theme was the fall of the empire and his belief that it was due to the allowance of barbarians into Roman lands and the neglect of pagan gods with special hostility to Constantine.

The 'Historia Augusta'

No one knows who wrote it, and were they alive they probably would not admit it, but it serves as a monstrosity of falsification. It is a collection of thirty imperial biographies from 117 to 284 AD, presented with obvious trivial anecdotes and highly suspect 'documents' proving the content.

Edited by Favonius Cornelius

nice!

PP just pinned this, so maybe a bit more work on them and they might indeed end up on the main page! :)

cheers

viggen

Propoganda certainly, by its very nature, but it is very much a legitimate historical document. While we must understand that the negatives have been left out, it doesn't discount the basic truth of the 'good', even if there may be some holes.

nice!

PP just pinned this, so maybe a bit more work on them and they might indeed end up on the main page! :)

cheers

viggen

I'd be happy to complete the work, but I am wondering what exactly you are looking for. You mean include the men who you all have already, or provide more detail for those I listed? For many, there simply is little known of them.

Im currently looking for some historians that would follow Suentonius Lives of Caesars books that end with Domitian. Anyone have any recomendations for future historian of emperors?

Im currently looking for some historians that would follow Suentonius Lives of Caesars books that end with Domitian. Anyone have any recomendations for future historian of emperors?

Primus, I agree that the Res Gestae is still a credible historical source- especially as it gives a contextual account of Roman propaganda and some of Caesar's accomplishments. Yet there is a great deal of evidence to suggest that it is also inaccurate. Not only does Augustus withhold and omit a lot of information, but he also lies about certain things. I'm trying to write an essay about the strengths of this document as a historical source. Any ideas? Also, anyone like Juvenal's Satires?

Dio Cassius' Roman History would probably be your best bet, even though its not strictly a 'biographical' account. Tacitus' Annals ends with Nero and the largely bogus Historia Augusta only begins with Hadrian.

I myself have been trying to piece together decent historians of the Third Century AD for a private project. Amongst those already mentioned I'd add Aurelius Victor, Zosimius and Jornandes (For his information on the Gothic incursions).

I myself have been trying to piece together decent historians of the Third Century AD for a private project. Amongst those already mentioned I'd add Aurelius Victor, Zosimius and Jornandes (For his information on the Gothic incursions).

Excellent thanks for the suggestions! I added Aurelius and Jornandes. Let me know if you are aware of more details about them.

Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History is worth a look. Although it's essentially a Church history, it provides an interesting insight when compared with the likes of Zosimus. Although obviously not an impartial source, it's always interesting to try and gauge contemporary opinion...Eusebius' interest in recording dates, times, names, and