UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
arviragus

Gens Julii Stemmata

Hi

I'm trying to find information about the origins and lineage real or mythical, of the Julian clan. I'm especially interested in the very early periods (supposed descendancy from Aeneas, pre-founding, early Republic) and also around the period 250BC onwards. Any dates, names, offices held and any specific information about actual individuals would be great. Also especially for women of the clan (no matter how distantly related), about which I have found very little. I have found these links below and I had found another with more marriages shown, but I've lost the link now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Julius_Caesar

http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Cours...ata/julclst.jpg

Any information or help on where to look e.g. sources would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

PS If you are curious, this is not because I'm trying to prove that I'm descended from Aeneas!

Uhm our history section has all the dates and info on those specific people but I guess it would take a lot of time to read. I guess Ursus or Viggen can compilate it into their essay style posts of theirs for you.

Thank you Flavius Valerius Constantinus I will have a look. When you say "history" section, where exactly do you mean?

Perhaps this... Roman History, but as the writer I can assure you that I've never built a Roman family stemmata and you won't find it in there.

Thanks. I though maybe that was it and had a quick browse through some of that.

Do you have any thoughts on sources for early Jullii? I did a quick search through a txt version of Livy I have found but that didn't show up some of the early names I have come across eg Libo, Numerius, and I really don't know where to look for information on women, or more information about these people, other than the occasional "held office as Consul in year AUC XXX. Maybe it just does not exist :)

I have read that the Julians claimed the founder of the family was none other than Aeneas, who escaped to the Italian peninsula after the fall of Troy. He was seduced by the goddess Venus, so the family claimed divine origins.

I THINK there may be some reference to this in Virgil, actually given it is called the Aenaid, I am pretty sure it is mentioned! LOL

Didnt Virgil write the poem in order to flatter Augustus anyway?

Claudia

Thanks. What you say is true. In fact I plan to get a copy of the Aeneid asap. But there is quite a lot more detail if you look around, for example (and I suspect that some of this may come from the Aeneid)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alba_Longa

What I'm looking for though is more detailed information about the Julii, either individuals or the clan.

And of course, by what lineage (real or imagined) were the Julii connected to Aeneas?

Was it via Romulus, or was it via the Alban royal lineage?

Kind regards