UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

If You Could Meet One Roman Emperor

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

off the top of my head I'd have to say Augustus, first

of course I'd be interested to meet Constantine towards the end of his life, and Empress Helena...she must have been an interesting woman

• 2 weeks later...

My pick is a Byzantine and so he is probably a little bit of a reach, but I am going to go with Manuel Comenius. He may not have been the greatest and he may have not ruled the Empire at its most powerful period, but the man most definitely knew how to have a good time.

If you are just talking about a guy who would be fun to hang out and party with, then I think you guys will be hard pressed to find a better one. He liked music, alchohol and parties. He could hunt, practice medicine and talk on a wide range of topics. His charisma was well known and his generosity was equally famous.

So if its a matter of having a good time and enjoying your expereince with a Roman (or Byzantine) Emperor, then I think he is the clear choice.

Flavius Aetius, Belisarius, Amalansutha (I know she is isn't Roman but damnit she is too interesting not too), Constatine XI and Diocletian.

Have you ever run accross any good descriptions of Amalansutha? I have run accross several that all say about the same thing. She was the well-educated, intelligent daughter of the great Visigothic King who made an ultimiately doomed attempt to retain power while regent and later queen of the Goths.

I wish there was something that did a better job of describing her life, her personality in detail, her reasons behind the choices she made, etc. I guess what I am looking for is some sort of biographical work dedicated to her life.

Any ideas where I could look for such a thing?

Funny, I tried googling her, and all I came up with was posts from UNRV about her.

Hahaha, and all the posts are probably by me right?

Dan, I'm trying right now to go through various books and other texts to see if I can find detailed information on her though it is hard. What we know of her is just what we are told mainly from the Byzantine perspective and anything that the Ostrogoths would have had would have been negative since they hated her, thought her a traitor to her people and culture. If I do find anything majorly different from the basic details on her I will make a thread and post them, though right now I have not found much. The only additional info I found was the plan her and Justinian had formed just before her arrest and then the possible outcomes and implications of this and I am right now looking at which books on my desk I found that in.