UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Roman Recipe To Delight All

Pertinax

At last the "dormouse moment", or do I smell a rat?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2617388.ece

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

succulent young kid

What?

Eating bread and cheese it's not much a cuisine to talk about...

GO, in this place polenta (mămăligă) it's a very popular food and there are many recipes based on it. There are even claims to be a dacian food, but probably not with corn. Next time after you put cheese and stuff, maybe an egg, in the already made polenta, put it in the oven for some minutes.

But this is peasant food unfit for an earl. I'm shocked.

GO, in this place polenta (mămăligă) it's a very popular food and there are many recipes based on it. There are even claims to be a dacian food, but probably not with corn. Next time after you put cheese and stuff, maybe an egg, in the already made polenta, put it in the oven for some minutes.

But this is peasant food unfit for an earl. I'm shocked.

No, the Dacians wouldn't have made it with corn (maize) unless they also discovered America! ... In medieval times, before maize reached Europe, polenta and mămăligă were made with barley. "Polenta" is the Latin name for it, still used in Italian; but what's the origin of the Romanian word mămăligă? My Romanian dictionary doesn't even take a guess at the origin of this word. Yes, why not Dacian?

• 4 months later...
At last the "dormouse moment", or do I smell a rat?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2617388.ece

Wow, to think they'd claim they'd been serving rat!

Here's a Roman recipe for stuffed dormouse.

GLIRES

Lean pork

Dormouse meat trimmings

Ground black pepper

Mixed nuts

Several leaves of lacer (rocket/arugula may substitute)

A soupcon (trace) of liquamen/garum

Pound the mixture until it makes a rough paste suitable for forcing into your dormouse. Put the animal once stuffed in an earthen casserole dish. Boil in a pot with stock. Alternatively you can roast in the oven. (Take care not to let the ears burn!)

Gerbil or hamster may work, too, it says.. is there something wrong with guinea pig, though? You can't stuff much into a hamster.

• 11 months later...

I have a bottle of greek retsina wine, claimed to be one of the oldest types of wine still around. If the Ancients drank that I pity them. The resin give the wine an unbearable odor close with that of ouzo and rake.