UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Roman Recipe To Delight All

Pertinax

Triclinium is the dining area in general and also the couch upon which the guests are seated.

Scipio if you use your search engine on "image " function I am confident it will yield an appropriate image , if it doesntI have one I will send you one

Edited by Pertinax

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A brief article in one of the national papers (mail) will trouble the culinary sensibilities of the Scottish Nation: The famous chef and bon vivant Clarissa Dickson-Wright suggestes that the Romans were the first to produce the Haggis before Scotish national identity emerged. Opinion is divided though , others suggest an arrival of the Haggis within the raiding ships of those going a-viking.

The Roman theory is attractive-mixing "puls" with offal as a handy ration seems virtuous and efficient .

there was a third suggestion that a linguist might be able to fathom-that Haggis is a french invention the origin of the name being related to the word describing a magpies nest. The logic being that a magpie collects all odds and ends in its nest, haggis certainly fits that bil.

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/garum.htm

ah Fratres, I have a link so you can now make your own Garum.Rest assured I will be trying this recipe.This is a site after my own heart.

Edited by Pertinax

monosodium glutamate the flavour enhancer is the key it was identified as the active ingredient by a Japanese scientist-we have cantonese restaurants with a similar sauce for Sea Bass and Lobster.

Edited by Pertinax

I havent forgotten my vow to produce the "puppy" recipe but just for now remember they are best whilst still nursing-just like piglets

I report only the veritas of the Triclinium :lol:

or would that be verite?

I might attempt the sacrificial bullock recipe: this includes the religious preparations and is a big ceremonial-ties in with the Greaco-Roman superstition thread.

Edited by Pertinax

I report only the veritas of the Triclinium :lol:

or would that be verite?

I might attempt the sacrificial bullock recipe: this includes the religious preparations and is a big ceremonial-ties in with the Greaco-Roman superstition thread.

Are you trying to learn latin my friend. Well, you made two mistakes. Its Graeco-Roma(Greece is Graecus in Latin). Uhm, what's this veritas your talking about, because veritas means truth, fact, and accuracy. Verite is a deponent verb in the perfect tense, vocative case.

No I hold my hand up-I was waiting for you to correct me! :)

So you have been invited to Rome from your hovel in Brittania,and you are aware that milk and beer are laughed at as the amusing childish habits of the uncivilised, what is to be done to prepare yourself for a stiiff drink?

Well wine is all the rage in Rome and if you go to a smart dinner party the guests will appoint a "magister bibendi" a master of revels, in this they follow the aloof and somewhat effeminate Greeks who called the king of drinking the "symposiarch" (nice word eh?). Now the Magister is in charge of alcohol consumption and the seemliness of proceedings, as a barbarian this will be assumed to beyond your understanding as you would doubtless drink yourself senseless at the first opportunity and do violence to your neighbour,in Rome though if conversation becomes too heated the Magister must intercede and propose a more erudite and seemly topic -forunately he would have slaves available to dilute the wine with as much as six parts of water to one of wine if proceedings were taking a bad turn.Remember the drinking bowl must pass clockwise around the triclinium -this is not some downmarket hut in Eboracum ,remembering always to spill a few drops as a libation and not because of drunkeness, Jupiter and Neptune should be honoured always but other |Gods require respect, if you wish to appear knowledgable try a toast to Sulla Minerva your local deity conflated with the ever watchful Minerva.

Edited by Pertinax

Whats the logic behind passing the drinking bowl clockwise. By the way, did the bowl look more like a plate, when did drinking from your own cup come into fashion?

In reverse order-the older type of vessel would be a "philia" a shallow circular bowl. However different Gods have different cups, so Hercules had the scyphus ( though not exclusivley)which is a a small beaker-Bacchus had the large ceremonial kantharus with large double handles,( many contemporary sports trophies ape this style).The calix was a general vessel being a flattish bowl with two handles-so impurities could easily be seen in a wine.The Magister would propose what vessel should be used.

The direction is the "way of the sun" from astronomical observation.