UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Roman Recipe To Delight All

Pertinax

The Snails in Cumin are a brilliant ploy-a flavoursome dish but cleverly the Cumin is one of the best anti-parasitics (still) available ,snails as you know need careful purging (usually with milk ) to make sure your guests dont get nasty /bacterialparasitic infections.( beer would do as well).

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Snails in Cumin are a brilliant ploy-a flavoursome dish but cleverly the Cumin is one of the best anti-parasitics (still) available ,snails as you know need careful purging (usually with milk ) to make sure your guests dont get nasty /bacterialparasitic infections.( beer would do as well).

:whistling:

I learned from an old frenchman to also put them in a sack of flour and let their gorging on the flour purge them.

Asafetida (also called Devil's Dung) is Ferula rubicaulis-what happened is that Silphium was lost in antiquity and Asafetida was "slotted in " to its position in the medieval herbal materia medica, but ( importantly) they have no actual relationship save they both (appear ) to be Umbellifers .Well done for spotting the connection , very few people even know of it!

Alice Arndt, Helen Saberi and I tried to bring out the connection between silphium and asafoetida in our papers to the Oxford Food Symposium in 1992. I've put my paper on the Web now at

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/texts/SilphiumTexts.html

My bit of the task (back in 1992) was to provide the direct ancient evidence about silphium (and asafoetida), and that's what this page now does: I hope all significant ancient sources are there in translation. If anyone finds any others, please tell me!

But we certainly don't claim to be the first in post-classical times to spot the link between silphium and asafoetida! I give the credit for that to the Portuguese physician and spice expert, Garcia de Orta, who wrote /Colloquies on the spices and drugs of India/ in 1563. I wrote on this topic in my /Dangerous Tastes/ (2000) and in /Food in the Ancient World from A to Z/ (2003).

So far as I know, asafoetida is more often identified as (botanical) Ferula assa-foetida and Ferula foetida. But you may well be right with Ferula rubicaulis, Pertinax, I'm no botanist. However, classicists who identify silphium with Ferula tingitana (as some do) are certainly wrong. You would need a plant which shares flavours and medicinal qualities with modern asafoetida (otherwise asafoetida would not have worked as a substitute), and there is no such plant in north Africa. Sadly, the silphium of Cyrene is really lost to us.

Thats about the most comprehensive breakdown on silphium ive seen-ive kept an eye open for any additional material but im afraid its all bits and pieces,Nero really should have kept that last plant instead of scoffing it.

I conjecture that harvesting might have been somewaht similar to Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadiensis ) , a wild growing herb, only reaching true potency after a couple of seasons , with a sparse range, picked by knowledgable locals, and picked only at a particular season.

Asafetida doesnt figure prominently in modern herbal materia medica-it tends to be an add on to some nervine mixes,( being anticonvulsivant), ive never had ocassion to use it as a tincture or fluid extract (if I had I could tell which variant was the most common commercial variant) . I understand its main use is as a flavouring in Worcester Sauce,(but you probably knew that one!).The gum resin from the roots is the part of the plant used.

Edited by Pertinax

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year Fratres!

now-a very plain ,very simple recipe for your jaded palates after the great Saturnalia.

Roman Toasts-

Remove the crusts from slices of white bread, dip these in milk ( camel is best , goat will do if you are poor-never use cow's milk ,that would make you no better than a gaul!), saute quickly in best virgin olive oil.

Sprinkle with meadow honey.

Lentil stew

I suggest a dish of Lentils flavoured with onion and cumin to restore your flagging digestion, 45 minutes steady stewing should do it -if you are a robust trencherman add some red wine ( youve probably drunk way too much Falernian by now anyway).

you see, I can be sympathetic to the overtaxed gut sometimes.

Edited by Pertinax

Why does everything have to include wine and alcohol. Oh wels, I'm never going to touch those things.

Nice comparison by the way :P :"( camel is best , goat will do if you are poor-never use cow's milk ,that would make you no better than a gaul!)"

The Romans disdain for cow's milk is very sensible-the size of the fat globules is considerable, the relative whey content is low, as far as digestion goes ( and skin condition) they chose shrewdly, the rule they followed was -the thinner the milk (ie; more whey) the better. . Nowadays as well certain of the substances injected into the poor animals ( never mind oxytet in feedstuffs) happen to accelerate damage to the surface of the pancreas. So I practice as a I preach, drinking only goat and sheeps' milk.

Anthimus (northern Gaul, 500 AD, dietician to a Frankish king, apparently a former Byzantine physician accused of treason and on the run) is worth a read if you get tired of sex, Suetonius, etc ...

Anthimus's recipe for hare is today's Latin quotation on the FOOD WORD site. Anthimus claims it's good for dysentery (or rather, against dysentery), which sounds doubtful, but, who knows, it may be useful to somebody! Go here

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/blog.html#6

for the original, and you'll find a link to a translation. But first, catch your hare.

spikenard-we must talk of this herb soon, in the meantime I will search out a picture.last time Madame pertinax made Hare (with chocolate sauce!!!) I had no peristaltic difficulties ( for quite a while).

yes , its an old italian recipe.Bit rich I admit.

Edited by Pertinax

• 2 weeks later...

Two Roman recipes have just appeared as daily quotation on the Food

Word site.

The Apicius recipe for 'spiced wine mix for travellers' appears here

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/ar..._culinaria.html

in Latin and English (I have borrowed the English from the draft of

Sally Grainger and Chris Grocock's forthcoming translation, just to

whet everybody's appetite for this long-awaited culinary bible, but if

Sally objects it will disappear instanter!)

The Latin version of Cato's instructions for salting hams appears on

the same page, and the English translation is here

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/texts/CatoTranslation.html

and this time it's borrowed from my own edition and translation of Cato (published by Prospect Books, which has an amazing list in food history)

Bon appetit!

Andrew

Why does everything have to include wine and alcohol.

Because it adds to the richness and depth of flavor, carries the tastes of other ingredients and its high acidity helps tenderize meat & poultry...

Flavious, If you wish to abstain for health reasons; because you a worried about your liver or because of a family genetic tendency towards substance abuse that is quite admirable and commendable for a youth confronted with today's deteriorating moral fiber.

However, if it is due to fear of some kind of divine persecution in the afterlife, then I must say you are missing out on one of the heavenly father's (or mothers!) most loving gifts to mankind... ;)

Aha-my favourite Biblical Injunction "take not water , but a little wine ..for thy stomach's sake...." ;)