UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Roman Recipe To Delight All

Pertinax

Thanks Pertinax. I'll skip the moray eel though.

There is an Italian digestive made from artichokes. (Can't remember its Italian name now.) That will digest anything and cleanse ones palate.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pertinax. I'll skip the moray eel though.

There is an Italian digestive made from artichokes. (Can't remember its Italian name now.) That will digest anything and cleanse ones palate.

That is quite sensible-artichoke combined with olive oil and lemon juice will ,firstly ,produce a great deal of bile (probably half as much again as normal from the bile ducts), and would also tend to dissolve any impacted chloresterol obstructing the bile ducts in the liver and gall bladder.If you had bad acidosis it would be a good thing to use.

After all the gluttony in this thread I bring you a digestive :

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...&cmd=si&img=762

to restore your jaded gut and palate. In the East Anise was formerly used with other spices in part payment of taxes. 'Ye pay tithe of Mint, Anise and Cummin,' we read in the 23rd chapter of St. Matthew, but some authorities state that Anise is an incorrect rendering and should have been translated 'Dill.'

In Virgil's time, Anise was used as a spice. Mustacae, a spiced cake of the Romans introduced at the end of a rich meal, to prevent indigestion, consisted of meal, with Anise, Cummin and other aromatics. Such a cake was sometimes brought in at the end of a marriage feast, and is, perhaps, the origin of our spiced wedding cake.

I also understand that the Romans chewed Anise in the morning to freshen the breath-and then rinsed with wine! They also rubbed it into their faces in an early attempt at non-surgical facelifting.I might also add that epilepsy ,that most nervewrackingly divine of conditions was (hopefully) allayed by smearing infants with anise paste.

AD may know some more on this-I understand the paste mixed with (bay leaves?) other herbs was used as a vomit inducing emetic?

I'm certain in my mind (but what is that worth? I still want evidence) that the Mediterranean use of anise digestives (pastis, Ricard, Pernod, ouzo, etc.) is directly descended from the Roman and medieval use of anise-flavoured wine (ANISATUM). It simply is true that anise (and fennel) assist digestion. (What the alcohol does to you is another question.)

Next time you fly out of Athens airport, find the Chios Mastic shop in the 'duty-free' area and buy a bottle of Mastiha Ouzo. 10 euros. The anise helps you digest, the mastic is good for teeth and for mouth and stomach mucosa, and the alcohol (in moderation) may make you happy. If you don't want alcohol, buy their mastic toothpaste instead. The same benefits and completely non-addictive ...

Now, here AD has given us another very interesting medicine/food overlap. GO was on the nail with the Artichoke (and the Cynar name is an abbreviation of its latin designation Cyanara cardunculus-globe type).

Gum Mastica /mastik is a powerful vermifuge indeed its particularly useful for expelling obstinate pyloric ;) bacteria.Although its flavouring is the key to this product I do seem to remember a couple of nasty little ancient wars being fought over its production area.

Aniseed grows very freely in European hedgerows so its certainly been available-perhaps someone looking for Hemlock picked a delicious non-fatal substitute instead.

edit: mastik toothpaste is a good idea-because when using a medicinal strength application one is required to take it last thing at night to have maximun impact on liver processing in the absence of food.

Edited by Pertinax

• 3 weeks later...

I was checking a reference on the use of Mustard seed in relation to an excellent photo posted by LW and some pms we exchanged regarding herbs , this lead me to peruse an entry by Galen as regards the consumption of testicles.

Galen mentions that in his part of the world the pigs are castrated to enhance the flesh of the whole animal , and bulls to render them more pliant and equitable in temper. Having recently consumed the hypothalamus and seminal vessels of fat lambs (mixed with king scallops , fried in butter with samphire herb and a little garlic) I commend Galens words to the public "If the testes are cooked properly they are nourishing , Pork is superior to other meats just as the testicles of pigs are superior to other testicles. Only the testicles of cockerels are in every respect the best , particularly those fattened on grain" Alas he condems the brain as unwholesome and a producer of phlegm, producing nausea in some patients :blink: , personally I found it to be quite pleasant , like a sort of meaty toothpaste, but the cerebral crenellations are a bit off putting.Galen says we should have brain in an oily sauce to loosen the bowels after a rich meal, and that marjoram is a great help as a side dish.

You have gone too far this time sir... :mellow:

Galen made me do it... :angel:

You have gone too far this time sir... :mellow:

Galen made me do it... :angel:

Hate to play 'can you top this', but.... In 'ethnic' neighborhoods one may see the other male attachment hanging in the windows. Nope, never tasted it. I wonder what one would find in a French neighborhood! :blink:

In re brains, does the phrase 'Mad Cow Disease' mean anything to anyone? :o

Hate to play 'can you top this', but.... In 'ethnic' neighborhoods one may see the other male attachment hanging in the windows. Nope, never tasted it.

I have a feeling you're talking about butchers' shops rather than residential neighbourhoods, but I thought I'd better verify that ...

In re brains, does the phrase 'Mad Cow Disease' mean anything to anyone? ;)

Well, yes. Calfs' brains (and some other parts) are therefore no longer such a good idea, since it seems highly probable (though I don't believe it was ever proved, and given the supposed incubation period I wonder whether it ever could be proved) that the agent causing v-CJD crossed the species barrier from cattle to human.

Mind you, looking at it clinically and statistically, there's a certain number of risks that older people can reasonably take that younger ones shouldn't, unpopular though it may be to tell the younger ones so. This is one of those, I believe.

Well, yes. Calfs' brains (and some other parts) are therefore no longer such a good idea, since it seems highly probable (though I don't believe it was ever proved, and given the supposed incubation period I wonder whether it ever could be proved) that the agent causing v-CJD crossed the species barrier from cattle to human.

One of my father's friend's wife just died from the human version of Mad Cow Disease... ;)

I had in mind sheep's brain actually, but given the propensity of the unethical to feed meat to herbivores as feed I only eat those animals I am well acquainted with. ;) cue raucous and ribald jokes...

The brains of birds from hilly country Galen commends as superior to marsh dwelling animals, then entering a discussion on the use of ostrich gut as a digestive medicine -I assume this is essentially the use of the gastric mucosa of the beast to aid the digestion of those with damaged intestines and villiae (this is not as strange or "old school" as it sounds , until Mad Cow hit home little old ladies always demanded a liquid "Liver Tonic" made from the mucosa of cows and mixed with liquiefied extract of spleen and liver.Ox bile is still for sale in tablets for those with malfunctioning gall bladders.

Which leads me to Galen's further suggestion for clearing the stomach : Sea Urchin with eggs , honey and pepper.This I have had in its Japanese guise.

I note that he has a further statement on cocks testes which I overlooked, namely that the very best quality are from aninals fattened on milk whey '(though he does not say which animals milk, camel for the wealthy bon vivant I suggest).

Edited by Pertinax

That's done it. I'm off of flesh! :angry:

:angry:

Aah, Galen had you in mind when he mentions the large Gourd. It is nutritious and filling (being of moist and cool humours) , but doesnt actually taste of anything and might rot in the stomach .Its juices are without quality as far as the senses are concerned. Somewhat like subsisting on turnip.It is suggested that pickled fish may be served to leaven the fare. ;) Enjoy!

probably best to drink beetroot juice with it (very alkaline). B)