UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Favonius Cornelius

Cloacina

Here is an amusing goddess the Romans did not forget.

Cloacina was the parton goddess of the sewers, actually an important aspect of city life if you think about it.

There was a small shrine to Cloacina in the forum of Rome in front of the Basilica Aemilia, which marked the entrance of the sewer that drained the forum.

Later she became identified with Venus. Now when you think of sweage I imagine that the last thing on one's mind is love and beauty, but if you think of the goddess as purifying the city I think it takes on a new aspect. :)

Informative link:

http://www.vroma.org/~jruebel/cloacina.html

wonderful ,I thought my recipes were obscure! How apposite though the Romans were most fastidious in the disposal of effluvia.

the Cloaca :) being the cavity into which intestinal and genito urinary tracts empty

I hope the priests of this cult didn't practice human sacrifices, imagine the embarrassment of being sacrificed to the god of the sewers!

I hope the priests of this cult didn't practice human sacrifices, imagine the embarrassment of being sacrificed to the god of the sewers!

Lol quite true. At least the animal sacrifices would be a piece of cake though. No clean up: to do so could insult the goddess and she could clog your plumbing.

In a Roman pagan perspective, I would mind sacrificing humans to Cloacina. To an urban Roman, the tunnel system meant everything. The aquaducts provide water from far way into the cities water system, meaning fountains. Fountains is pretty much where lots of Romans get their daily need of water and that is very important. So the tunnels are important. I prefer not using the term sewers.