• USA
    • UK/Ireland
    • Australia/New Zealand
    • Canada
    • Europe (not UK/Ireland)
    • Americas (South and Central)
    • Asia
    • Africa

I live in the home of the most recent NCAA Team, doesn't matter much to me but might to some, Chapel Hill, the entire town revolves around the college UNC. Its in the great state of North Carolina in the US of A (Unified Sporks of Austria) or as better known (but not officialy named) The United States of America. I like it were I live but its too hot, the weather can never be just right (unlike the 3rd bowl of poorage).

Well, Im in Sydney Australia..The Best city in the world anyway....

i thought ANZAC stood for..Australian New Zealand Army Core... :lol:

Well, Im in Sydney Australia..The Best city in the world anyway....

i thought ANZAC stood for..Australian New Zealand Army Core... :lol:

It does. Not sure why Pertinax has chucked Canada in there too.

I am originally from the USA but enjoy travel and am embarking on a 4 month trip to the UK next week

hopefully I'll get to some of the better Roman sites

I am originally from the USA but enjoy travel and am embarking on a 4 month trip to the UK next week

hopefully I'll get to some of the better Roman sites

Bath is cool not only for the Roman baths, but also the town itself- very interesting (especially if you are from Australia- a place that severely lacks in historical buildings)!

In the UK we thought ANZAC was a good term for everyone who turned up to risk their necks along with our chaps from former Colonies and Dominions-so its official name has a further unofficial and affectionate side to it.

Edited by Pertinax

I thought the Liberals only had control of the Senate...Are you sure he also has control of the House Of Reps

Edited by Honorius

I am from the USA. Specifically I live in a small city called Shreveport in the state of Louisiana. Sadly, no one here has even the smallest interest in Roman history. lol

........maybe some of your guys can relate to the looks I get when I even bring up Roman history with friends or family. I can watch their eyes glaze over and the life drain from their bodies before I even start the second sentence of whatever I am saying. :)

Edited by DanM

I thought the Liberals only had control of the Senate...Are you sure he also has control of the House Of Reps

Sorry to break it to you Honorius, but the Coalition has control of both houses, that's why all the legislation Howard wants passed goes straight on through, there is effectively no house of review.

Don't feel bad that you didn't know, most of the people who voted them in are only now realising what a mistake it was to mark a 1 next to the Coalition box on BOTH ballet papers.

........maybe some of your guys can relate to the looks I get when I even bring up Roman history with friends or family. I can watch their eyes glaze over and the life drain from their bodies before I even start the second sentence of whatever I am saying. :)

Ahh yes. Sometimes I take for granted even the simplest things in history and am constantly reminded that few people actually care. I even remember a time way back when in high school when our political science teacher was discussing the ramifications of using atomic weapons in Japan. One of my fellow students actually shouted out... OMG, we dropped atomic bombs on people?

Needless to say, I was stunned that someone at about 16ish years of age had never even heard of this. I've long since grown tragically accustomed to the fact that I share the planet with a vast majority of people who find my interests are completely abnormal.

Hence UNRV.com, where even if we members disagree on philosophy at least there is a place where history can be discussed with others of similar interests :P

Needless to say, I was stunned that someone at about 16ish years of age had never even heard of this. I've long since grown tragically accustomed to the fact that I share the planet with a vast majority of people who find my interests are completely abnormal.

Yeah. And it definitely doesn't help with "the ladies" either. A solid knowledge of Roman history could more accurately be described as woman-repellant. lol If I ever found a woman who had a passion for late roman history, it would be a very short trip to love for me.

As for someone so clueless as to not know about us droping atomic bombs on Japan in WW II, that is sadly not a surprise to me. Every year our young people become collectively dumber, fatter and more selfish. But hey, at least they have learned to feel good about themselves in a noncompetitive, judgement-free environment. Thats gotta count for something? Right?

Edited by DanM

Nothing is as indestructible as stupidity

reminds me of what George Orwell said in "Down and out in Paris and London"-he described one of the London tramps as having ignorance that was "limitless and appalling"; the man had no idea if Christ had lived before or after Napoleon.

Edited by Pertinax

I've long since grown tragically accustomed to the fact that I share the planet with a vast majority of people who find my interests are completely abnormal.

It's quite a shame for sure. What really stinks is when people think you're being condecending just because you throw a learned anecdote into a conversation:

Me - "Wow, this looks like it's going to be a Herculean task!"

Coworker - "OMG, I like, don't even know what that means! You don't have to treat me like I'm stupid!

Lately it's been bothering me more and more:

1. I'm a wonderful listener and overly empathetic to everyone but if I have to fiegn interest in another long, droll, mindless subject with someone who hasn't even taken a second to acknowledge what interests me I'm going to poke someone's eye out... <_<

2. My girlfriend is making more money than she used to and buys quite a bit more random 'stuff' these days. Though I may not attach any value to the aforementioned 'stuff' it's her money and if makes her happy then great. But, when I recently got another rare, out of print book in the mail, she maliciously scoffed with words to the affect of "Another book"? Like the others should have contained all universal knowledge and I was wasting my money for buying another... :rolleyes:

3. If I'm reading and 'someone else' (see above) is watching some mindless program on the TV, I'm the one considered being rude for not spending time with them... :huh:

Sorry for assisting the venture off topic but this topic really hits home with me as it seems to with the rest of you...

BTW: Pertinax, that quote belongs on a monument

Edited by Pantagathus