• UK/Ireland
    • Australia/New Zealand
    • Canada
    • Europe (not UK/Ireland)
    • Americas (South and Central)
    • Asia
    • Africa

From the land of 'mongrols'

You guys can keep the cheese and football. I'll take the olive oil skinned beauties.

Secon that

may I ask a Briton who has not visited the States -how large are your counties of "york" and "Lancaster" in physical size and population?

I could answer that for South Carolina... (Both near where I grew up in North Carolina) :unsure:

York County, South Carolina

Lancaster County, South Carolina

If I am not mistakes the anient Romans made a fish gruel that they put on many things....seen it made on the BBC...the chef said it was most disgusting.

Are the Italian people really decendants of the ancient Romans or are they an extremely mixed people? Slaves from all over outnumbered Romans plus the army was made up of many different groups. Looking at phtos of ancient Romans it seems that modern Italians diidn`t look like them. (Romans didn`t seem so attractive)

If I am not mistakes the anient Romans made a fish gruel that they put on many things....seen it made on the BBC...the chef said it was most disgusting.

Yes Garum. The Romans used it about as much as modern folks use salt...

As for the second part of your post, it might be best that you start a new thread to pose that question as it's a bit off topic. :unsure:

Are the Italian people really decendants of the ancient Romans or are they an extremely mixed people? Slaves from all over outnumbered Romans plus the army was made up of many different groups. Looking at phtos of ancient Romans it seems that modern Italians diidn`t look like them. (Romans didn`t seem so attractive)

Some Italian geneticists conducted a DNA study a few years back. They determined that by the results the population is similar to what it was about in the fourth century BC. Even more interesting in another study a University of Toronto team found that present day Italians living in the province of Tuscany were closely related by DNA to the Etruscans who lived there in pre-Roman times.

The question is interesting and a topic on it would be very interesting.

Edited by Virgil61

eu sou de the land of futebol and samba music :)

Boston, MA. A great place to visit, full of history and if you like seafood, this is the place to sample some of the best that New England has to offer.

I'm a British cictizen, but my mother's Norwegian amd I've lived in Oslo, Norway most of my life. I lived in England (Birmingham) for three years while studying for my BA in ancient history and archaeology. Apart from that I lived in the United States for a year (Providence, Rhode Island) with my fammily when I was nine.

I now live in Oslo. It's a nice place to live, surrounded by a beautiful forest, clean and with a low crime rate. Howeever, it's not the most ideal place for a career in Roman archaeology...I've been on regular trips to Italy in connection with my Master's studies, it's a beautuiful and interesting country, and I'm not opposed to maybe moving there sone day.

Edited by Livia Drusilla

I'm from canada(GO TEAM CANADA GO WIN THE GOLD MEDAL AGAIN YAAAAAAA) sorry but i am reeaallyy hyper about this years team canada(in the olympics)

If everyone wants to talk about women and football, thats fine with me. :whistling:

Born/Raised just south of San Francisco, CA, here. I pulled a 6-year stint outside of Sacramento, followed by another 6-year stint in Austin, TX...both for ed-joo-mi-kay-shun. Now I'm back home...and might I add, I'm damn glad about it, too. I missed the ocean...and I have now realized that heat + humidity = mucho sucko.

Oh, and I will be an Italian citizen in 2 years (give or take)! Mom's grandparents were from Milan-area and Genoa, and since they didn't become American citizens, we can get the citizenship. Viva Italia!!

I stumbled into here via Google (God Bless 'em)...and I'm grateful for it. Finally some people to talk shop with!

Born/Raised just south of San Francisco, CA, here. I pulled a 6-year stint outside of Sacramento, followed by another 6-year stint in Austin, TX...both for ed-joo-mi-kay-shun. Now I'm back home...and might I add, I'm damn glad about it, too. I missed the ocean...and I have now realized that heat + humidity = mucho sucko.

Oh, and I will be an Italian citizen in 2 years (give or take)! Mom's grandparents were from Milan-area and Genoa, and since they didn't become American citizens, we can get the citizenship. Viva Italia!!

I stumbled into here via Google (God Bless 'em)...and I'm grateful for it. Finally some people to talk shop with!

I was born in Italy on an American army base--Italian-American father and Italian mother. Believe it or not I recieved a draft notice when I turned 18 from the Italian government.

Did you grow up anywhere around San Fran's Italian community? My family's a part of the original small community in Portland, Oregon.

Did you grow up anywhere around San Fran's Italian community? My family's a part of the original small community in Portland, Oregon.

Grow up...eh...spent a lot of time there, between family connections to establishments and such. Since I moved back, I'm in North Beach at least once a month, for dinner if nothing else!

I am from Bucharest, Romania. Good wines, girls and football. Cheese is not so great.

i was born in philippines, mindanao, cotabato city... means fort of stone ... where a small hill of solid stone in the center of the town, now a regional military headquarter, with four rivers that enclose the city and emptied into the sea.

it is the place where the famous muslim mujahedin sword "kris" can cut through the riple and soldier's body,

and they continously run towards the enemy even after they were hit repeatedly by bullets,

and killed one to two soldier in the process.

that promted Captain Pershing to request the Army Ordnance,

to invent a gun that could stop and put down the enemy, when hit by bullet those suicide warriors.

and the gun that we now know as caliber 45 was born...

...and Pershing become General , the only one in the US Army history by act of US Congress,

by-passing the rank of major, lt. colonel and colonel, directly becoming general.

it is a city where death by guns is a common thing and beheading is not rare.