• USA
    • UK/Ireland
    • Australia/New Zealand
    • Canada
    • Europe (not UK/Ireland)
    • Americas (South and Central)
    • Asia
    • Africa

Wow, we have 3 Nova Scotians here? That's crazy. Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia here.

We've always had a healthy American and UK contingent, but Canadians have ben lacking.

Until now.

I hope you guys remain active. Perhaps someday you'll feel close enough to arrange a UNRV meet in Nova Scotia the way our UK members have done.

Well, it's unlikely i'm going to be meeting up with any of my fellow Nova Scotians here anytime soon. As I mentioned in the introduction thread, i'm leaving for Basic Training in 8 days, and that runs till the middle of July. Not long after that is finished, i'm likely going to be heading out to Victoria, British Columbia for my specialty training, so i'm not going to be spending much more time here in good ole Nova Scotia unfortunately!

I'm from Hamburg, Germany. That is a part of Germany which was not settled by the Romans. There might have been some exhibitions on the river Elbe in the year 5 BC but so far I could not find out too much on the topic of the Romans in North Germany.

I was born near Kansas City, Missouri, and grew up on a farm. I have lived near Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas-Ft. Worth, and Minneapolis-St. Paul. I now live in San Diego and plan to stay here the rest of my life.

Salvete Omnes !

I live in the city of Antwerp but I am originally from the Province of Limburg in the North East of Belgium. That was at the time of the conquest of Gaul less or more the homeland of the Germanic-Gallic tribe of the Eburones.

Under their leader Ambiorix they inflicted some heavy losses on the Romans.

You see his statue here in the market square of Tongeren, probably the oldest Roman settlement in Belgium.

I was born in Hasselt, about 15 km from there. My father's family is from no more than about 5 km from Tongeren.

So I definitely have some Eburone blood in me. :lol:

"...Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae..." (Caesar, de Bello Gallico)

Valete bene !

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

I live in the city of Antwerp but I am originally from the Province of Limburg in the North East of Belgium. That was at the time of the conquest of Gaul less or more the homeland of the Germanic-Gallic tribe of the Eburones.

Under their leader Ambiorix they inflicted some heavy losses on the Romans.

You see his statue here in the market square of Tongeren, probably the oldest Roman settlement in Belgium.

I was born in Hasselt, about 15 km from there. My father's family is from no more than about 5 km from Tongeren.

So I definitely have some Eburone blood in me. ;)

Hasselt is a lovely town. And so is Tongeren! I remember visiting the Gallo-Roman museum there - there was a very entertaining exhibition about Asterix on at the time.

So which is really the oldest town in Belgium: Tongeren or Tournai (Tornacum)?? ;)

Who is the African ????

I think I saw a South African somewhere in this thread.

Ottawa here, but I lived in three different Canadian provinces (none of the Roman ones, alas).

Not a lot of interest in Roman history here, which is strange for a city that houses the Senate. When I mentioned last week that archeologists might be about to uncover Cleopatra's tomb, my co-workers were astounded to learn that no, it's not the body of Julius Caesar they expect to find lying close to hers. :blink: Again, strange for a city that has seen so much backstabbing.

Ottawa here, but I lived in three different Canadian provinces (none of the Roman ones, alas).

Not a lot of interest in Roman history here, which is strange for a city that houses the Senate. When I mentioned last week that archeologists might be about to uncover Cleopatra's tomb, my co-workers were astounded to learn that no, it's not the body of Julius Caesar they expect to find lying close to hers. :blink: Again, strange for a city that has seen so much backstabbing.

:D

I think a lot of us have stories to share about historical ignorance or apathy among the general population. Which is why we're here.

I'm an American. If I meet people in real life who have a passion for history, usually its the American civil war.

Manchester (UK for you across the pond). As much as Rome defined the values and systems that define us today, Manchester, once the small fort of Mamucium/Mancunium, became the inventor of the modern age of industry and invention. A nice link. Capitalism and the factory system were first operated here and communism was conceived. The atom was split for the first time and the first electronic computer was operated. pretty good I think but the comparison in defining the world with Rome stops there. Beauty, charm and vigour will always triumph.

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I am fom Scotland in the UK :D

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I am fom Scotland in the UK :D

Hi Mark!

Welcome aboard, laddie!

And to you also, Macro!