UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pantagathus

Epulum Jovis - November 13th

"Sacrifices being of the nature of feasts, the Greeks and Romans on occasion of extraordinary solemnities placed images of the gods reclining on couches, with tables and viands before them, as if they were really partaking of the things offered in sacrifice. This ceremony was called a lectisternium.

At the Epulum Jovis, which was the most noted lectisternium at Rome, and which was celebrated in the Capitol, the statue of Jupiter was laid in a reclining posture on a couch, while those of Juno and Minerva were seated on chairs by his side; and this distinction was observed in allusion to the ancient custom, according to which only men reclined and women sat at table (Val. Max. ii.1

The romans often ate in the open airin front of a temple or statue of a god, at home the compluvium provided direct access to the sky .Thus the heavenly gods were able to peer directly into the dining room,the ceiling symbloising the heavens,planets and the celestial gods.

Horace ( Satyricon) describes a dinner during which part of a ceiling and the wall draperies fell to the floor. This was such a dire omen that the guests left at once , ignoring the host who tempted them to stay with exqusite sweetmeats.

"the statue of Jupiter was laid in a reclining posture on a couch"

You know I have always wondered how exactly they pull that one off without it looking ridiculous. I mean, a statue is a statue, so if it was sculpted in a standing stance, then it will look like a standing stature laid down on a couch...

You know I have always wondered how exactly they pull that one off without it looking ridiculous. I mean, a statue is a statue, so if it was sculpted in a standing stance, then it will look like a standing stature laid down on a couch...

It's pretty hilarious in my minds eye as well... :)

It's pretty hilarious in my minds eye as well... :D

Perhaps they were way ahead of their time with statues with adjustable arms and legs, rotating hips and Kung-Fu grip. :lol:

Budhha I can see relaxed-and indeed you can see him looking very much at ease in major temples, in a state of somnelent equipose. Jupiter seems a more "in your face deity" , tough guy not to be messed with -"father with a strong sword", like expecting Odin to be someone who used a soup spoon without slurping. Was it his being guest of honour that was critical to the ceremony and being relaxed in the presence of his devotees?

check out wikipedias painting of Jupiter and Tethis by Ingres-does he look like a relaxed deity? :lol:

check out wikipedias painting of Jupiter and Tethis by Ingres-does he look like a relaxed deity? :lol:

Heh you know you are right Pertinax, I did not think of that before. Now our rigid, scowl faced father of gods looks even more ridiculous reclined on a bench.

do you see this chap ("guy" to our North American cousins) reclining? Only over the bodies of unbelievers I would say.He looks like the Duke of Edinburgh on a very bad day-dont get me wrong I like the Duke but he doesnt talk in two directions.