UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Most Terrible Thing You Have Had For Dinner

Pertinax

My birthday approaches like the tread of doom. I therefore ask you to share with me your most terribleand most excellent dining experiences

1. worst meal-potato crumble ie: potatoes with bread crumbs in a veggie cafe in Edinburgh.Tasted of absolutely nothing.(1988).

2. strange meal- dim sum including prawns in custard and roast dog ( excellent) Hong Kong ( 1994)

3.best meal-jugged hare in chocolate ( I kid you not-an Italian recipe ) (2001-at home).

4. strongest tasting food-sea urchins genitalia (London 2000).

5. best "indigenous " meal tie between-Eels ,pie and mash ( Dagenham 1985) and Black Pudding (pigs blood and fat with barley-possibly known as hot boudin in the Southern USA thoug I may be mistaken here ) recent.

6. best service-Tokyo-food was excellent but was served alone in huge room by several persons with exquisite manners .

:fish: Salve!

I forgot the Tortoise-it was very tough. :lol:

Snake -how could i forget that? very nice ,a cross between a delicate fish and chicken.(shenzen 1994).

My doom is now upon me ! my hair goes grey,my stomach expands and Homer Simpson is younger than me.

:D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crocodile is nice,

I'm sure you'd have tried Kangaroo too Tobias ? As long as you don't overcook it, it's pretty good eating.

Sorry, I forgot to mention:-

PERTINAX YOU ARE OBSESSSED WITH FOOD !!!!

Yes I think I may be turning into either Nero or Homer Simpson

I'm sure you'd have tried Kangaroo too Tobias ? As long as you don't overcook it, it's pretty good eating.

Yep Germanicus, as one of Australia's beer commercials says "we'll chuck our national animal on the barby". It is very good, although it can be inclined to be a bit tough and stringy.

I have Black pudding nearly every day,its pigs blood mixed with fat from the back of the pig and made into a nice big sausage,hmmmm lovely ;) .

You guys do realize that poaching kangaroos for meat has made it almost fall into the endangered species category, unless they already are? I just realized the consequences now if you eat an animal on the endangered list.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

• 2 weeks later...

my top meals inc "standard" fare such as medium rare prime rib (various)

rabbit w/potatoes au gratin in the south of France 1998

ham green bean one pot simmer a family recipe

HOG MAW (pan fried ground beef &/or sausage in potato,bread crumbs,diced onion and celery w/seasonings bound by raw egg and baked in pig's stomach)!, a traditional PA Dutch recipe

WORST food experience had to be raw oysters in Bar Harbor, ME early 90s

Yes haggis, i really like haggis! (which is not what you'd expect an Englishman to say).

As for all the other foods; like dog, cat, horse, frog, crocodile, emu or whatever, yeah i'd try any of them once. I doubt very much that i'd like horse though as it's a red meat and i generally don't like red meats (except pork, bacon and anything else from a pig).

The one thing i would definately not try would be snail. Can't abide molluscs at the best of times, i just physically couldn't eat it. I'm not a fan of sea food either... squid, lobster... you can keep the lot.

You guys do realize that poaching kangaroos for meat has made it almost fall into the endangered species category, unless they already are? I just realized the consequences now if you eat an animal on the endangered list.

Oh my....how did I miss this pearl of wisdom.

Tobias - how many roos on your farm ?

Seriously, before you start lecturing me or my countrymen about our "endangered" kangaroos, try getting the facts straight, do some research perhaps. I don't presume to spout facts about things I know nothing about, it's dangerous.

Kangaroos are culled here. Culled, not poached for the simple reason that in drought there is not enough food to support their MASSIVE populations. The idea that the red, or grey Kangaroos are in any way endagered is absolutely laughable. I need only drive to the local golf course and I can watch 50 feed in a group, and I live in a capital city. Tobias probably just has to open his door on any given evening for a similar experience. While they don't "hop along the main street" as some may think, they are served in most modern restaraunts, indeed my local pub as well, for the very reason that they are a more environmentally friendly thing to eat than say beef or lamb. I recently asked a relative who bought a farm in outback NSW what he kept on it. His reply "Bout 200 goats, and 5000 roos."

Didnt like the Raw Oysters? Try em smoked then, very flavoursome. :)