UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Review Of The Venus Throw

Has anyone here read the Venus throw? If not, will you ( Viggen) let me write a review on it. The novel is a fiction book and the category is mystery. That's right, its a novel about an Roman detective. The novel interesting is set around the time of the first triumvirate. This novel includes lots about Roman culture and the politics happen at the time. It also includes a certain Clodii family. My post sounds like a review, but its just basic info.

• Like 1

Guest Cincinnatus

I have greatly enjoyed this series and believe I have read all of the books in it, except for the latest which is still in hardback. Flavius, I would welcome a review of "The Venus Throw" or any of the other books in the series. My own favorite is "Catalina's Riddle" concerning the Cataline Uprising.

To answer Favonius, Gordianus is the main character, the "detective" called the Finder for his ability to get at the truth. The series covers the time from Sulla to Julius Caesar (so far, at least.)

The Venus Throw: A Mystery of Ancient Rome

The Venus Throw is one of nine volumes in the Roma Sub Rosa series written by Steven Saylor. The exposition of The Venus Throw is set in mid-January 56 B.C. at mainly Rome. To those who know about it, that year was the year when Julius Caesar defeated the Veneti in the most decisive battle by naval action in the Battle of Gulf of Morbihan. Other events of the year 56 B.C. is tied nicely well into the novel....

Edited by Viggen

Highly agreed, I loved the book and am I fan of Steven Saylor who i think does a good job of tieing his characters in with history without disturbing how everything turned out. I've read "The Venus Throw" but I find that the first of the Roma Sub Rosa series, "Roman Blood" is much better, and It inculdes the person I'm named after, the infamous, Sextus Rocius!

By the way Flavius, have you read the other Roma Sub Rosa, and I agree with Cincinnatus that Catalina's riddle is good, but I still recomend that you read "Roman Blood" before you read the others or the plot might get confusing.

Edited by Sextus Roscius

...this review has now been updated to the new layout! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire